Problem with Google Docs and Hyperlinks

To suggest improvements and additions to the forum, or ask about technical difficulties using the forum.
Wol

Problem with Google Docs and Hyperlinks

Post by Wol »

I am currently working on checklists for species in our area of France (37, 36 and 87). My trial run (orchids) is a Google doc imported into Blogger at the moment, and shows scientific name, English name, French name and flowering period. I want the table to also have a column containing links to species accounts and this is where I have run into trouble. My idea was to write the species accounts as individual blog posts which could be linked to, but a) the html for creating a link in Google docs is really clunky, and b) it cannot be made to open in a new window. Consequently, the species accounts all repeat the Blog Heading and look really naff ie the whole page opens, not just that post, plus it's annoying if you are wanting to compare two species not to have them open simultaneously in two separate pages.

I've tried doing the species accounts in Google docs of their own, which is OKish, but they do lose out aesthetically. This is intended to be a website for enthusiastic amateurs, so being pretty as well as informative is a consideration.

The only other ways I can think of to work around it is to make a proper website, but that would involve buying a domain name plus I don't think I'm up to all the extra coding; or create the species accounts as pdf, but this will be slow for the user and a lot of people don't like pdf.

Has anyone done anything similar that I could look at, and does anyone have any ideas for how to make it work?
Wol
Not the Wizard of Aus - that's MOH

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I haven't completely solved this yet - few bits I didn't follow, but here's a hint:

Create a Word document on your desktop with hyperlinks
Thsi Wrod doc could be a series of tables, if thats what you'r trying to do.

Upload this document to Google docs

When I did a trivial test, it Seemed to have the links, and they open in a new window/tab.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Wol

Post by Wol »

I don't have Word. I'm afraid we are Freetards and have Open Office (if it's good enough for the gendarmes... :D )

Also, I think it might be the interface between Google Docs and Blogger that is the problem, or perhaps an additional problem.

I'll play around some more and see what I can come up with.

Oh...just had a thought - I wonder if the problem is because the document is a spreadsheet, not a table?
Wol

e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Wol wrote:I wonder if the problem is because the document is a spreadsheet, not a table?
Yes. I could not find any way to insert a link into a spreadsheet, but there is a button on the menu bar for doing this in documents.

BTW, I would have thought that importing an open office doc is exactly the same as a Word doc. Good luck.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Wol

Post by Wol »

Merci bien Richard. The problem is sorted and the Wizard has added some nifty refinements, so I am very pleased with the result.
Wol