New website promotes rail travel to the slopes

For topics that are specific to mountain locations, please go here.
Big Sis..

New website promotes rail travel to the slopes

Post by Big Sis.. »

Snowcarbon.co.uk launched today aiming to make train travel to Europe's resorts easier and more attractive.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2009/o ... ort-skiing
christinedavid

Post by christinedavid »

That's a great website. We have often been to France skiing by train. It's great. It means an extra day off work on the Friday but you arrive in resort on Saturday morning and don't leave till about 5pm the following Saturday. So a possible 8 days skiing instead of the usual 6. It costs slightly more, but it's worth it. This year we're going to Wengen by train, but during the day. We're really looking forward to the scenery on the way.We're going First Class so it'll be a lot more civilised than the Snow Train to France, which is really a bit basic, to say the least.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Oh they got it live! nice one Ros. I think it's a great idea
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I've caught the Eurostar to Moutiers a good few times, it runs there in the ski season. Direct from Waterloo (now St Pancras?) it was fab.

I preferred the day train to the overnight one. I've not been on the infamous ski train but my friend said eurostar was a million times better.
christinedavid

Post by christinedavid »

We've done the Eurostar too, but the overnight one. We went first class. The problem is there are only reclining seats and they didn't even turn the lights off, so we didn't get any sleep. If only they'd put sleeper cars on Eurostar...