Duvets: one superking v two singles

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
greenbarn

Duvets: one superking v two singles

Post by greenbarn »

This has come up in discussion before, and I was interested at the time to discover that, in some parts of Europe, having two single duvets on a superking or double bed is the norm. However, AFAIK, that's not the norm in the UK (maybe we just haven't caught up yet?) I considered posting this in the UK section, but I'd like to get as many views as possible.

Our market is primarily UK guests. For various reasons it would be a lot easier to provide two single duvets instead of one superking - storage, as we currently have both so that we can offer double or twin beds; putting the covers on, laundry, folding and ironing which we're looking at doing instead of using a linen hire service. That also means we need to buy stock, so it's an important consideration.

So, the question. If we made up a superking bed with two single duvets, do you think that UK (and other) guests - or indeed yourself - would object, tolerate it (as in indifferent), or even prefer it? From a sleeping standpoint, do you think there's any particular advantage or disadvantage either way? (A question that could be of interest to those of us who share a bed with a duvet thief.......) We could trial the idea and provide a superking duvet and cover for guests to use if they so wished, but has anyone already been through the exercise and arrived at any conclusion?

All thoughts and experience much appreciated.
Rogthedodge

Post by Rogthedodge »

Greenbarn,

For interest we went over to single's on a king, over 2 years ago, brilliiant idea. OH is a cold mortal and likes a warmer cover, whereas I, well I am just warm all over....Actually thought it was an original idea when we did it. The bonius is I don't have to help her make the bed up :D

UK based btw. but a nice hice in Porty.

Rog
Deary me am I real.

www.holiday-rentals.com/52179
stork

Post by stork »

We have double (superking) as standard. It seems to be the norm here in Portugal, and we prefer it ourselves.

Sometime guests ask for singles and then we just swap - we do have that option.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We have 2 singles that we make up into a large double and always put the single duvets back on the beds. I decided I didn't have the storage, or the energy, for providing another double duvet and bedding.

So far no complaints and one couple said they were going to do that at home as they were much more comfortable.

I describe it as 'continental style' :D

Mouse
x
p.s. clients 95% British
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

We have 2 singles on our king size bed as well. Only complaint in nearly 4 years was from a Canadian couple who were a pair of moaning minnies anyway!
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Funnily enough we were just considering doing this at home for some of the reasons already given. And having just come back from Ibiza where they use 'continental style' :D had exactly that on our hotel superking bed - with a large throw type cover over the top so that you could tell it was two singles by looking.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I have this arrangement in my Dublin apartment - a super king base with two mattresses made up as singles - "Austrian twins" they are known as. I do it because I find ironing single duvets and sheets so much easier than the super king size.

I offer the possibility of having the bed made up with one sheet and one duvet (the mattresses butt together nicely so with a padded mattress cover you don't feel the join) but not one person has asked for it to be changed so I have to assume that this suits everybody (or they forgot to ask in advance....).
Martha

Post by Martha »

I must say I prefer one big duvet, but I could cope with 2 singles. Maybe offer the choice and, as FelicityA says, if people are that bothered, they'll ask.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

As mentioned before, no German guests have ever refused the offer of single duvets.

MG
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Many thanks for the responses so far; there's some interesting thoughts.

As a double duvet rather than two singles is the norm in the UK, nobody could really complain about having a double. Unless they've spent time in a "singles country", most people have probably never even tried two singles, and might even prefer it - but the risk of spoiling a guest's sleep if they don't like the arrangement is very important. I can feel an experiment coming on, with a standby superking duvet and cover tucked away where the guests can get it themselves if they prefer; somehow I can imagine guests finding it a bit embarrassing to have to ask someone for a change.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

The only embarrassment we've found is when a couple, sleeping in a super-king, asks about an extra bed in the living room, not for an extra punter, but because one of them's an expert snorer.

MG
lorca

Post by lorca »

Mountain Goat wrote:As mentioned before, no German guests have ever refused the offer of single duvets.

MG
We´ve had a spare couple of singles ever since a German couple went straight to the bed on arrival, lifted the bedspread and said "where´s the other duvet??"

Prefer a double myself - I guess it depends on your sleeping habits

:wink:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I don't like the single duvets on a double. There always seems to be a draught, and I can't snuggle up to hubby quite so easily.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Interestingly, in the same vein, I had an electric blanket with dual controls (it broke and I couldn't get a replacement the same so I am back to one control) and this went down very well with couples.

My guests in the Cotswolds and Dublin do tend to be on the more 'mature' side and I can't tell you how many people said - he/she likes a different sleeping temperature to me so I reckon single duvets might suit more people than you think.
memes

single duvets

Post by memes »

First and second groups of guests this year are both German - I asked if the adults would prefer king size duvets or two x singles having heard about this preference possibility. They have confirmed yes they would like all 2 x singles on their king size beds.
I think I will ask all guests in future - I hope some do say king size or all my nice grown up posh king size covers will be sitting in the cupboard for a while, hmm wonder if one king size duvet is twice the size of a single and you could split em in two..bet its just slightly smaller!
M