Towels and Bed Linen

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
A-two

Post by A-two »

debk wrote:I read Martha's site and that's pretty much the way we do it.
debk
Impressive, but here's my version:

1. Take out of tumble dryer and roll into a ball.
2. Put in plastic supermarket bag with others.
3. Match up with beautifully ironed top sheet and pillows cases picked up from laundry (on wire hangers)
4. Stretch fitted sheet over mattress cover to eliminate wrinkles (hybrid version of Joan's methodology).
5. Cover with immaculately ironed top sheet, duvet cover and luxurious pillows and bedcover.

Works for me... (time saved is used to wash banana skins....:-) )

And here's a couple more questions on the subject of bedlinens, bearing in mind that my guests didn't show this weekend and the next arrival is 3 weeks away.

6. How long do you leave an unused bed before you freshen for next guests?

7. Do you freshen up by:
a) turning the top covers down to air for a few hours before arrival of next guests.
b) removing the sheets completely and shaking them out, then remaking with the same sheets
c) stripping the bed completely and putting the sheets back through the wash
d) leaving the bed as is and spraying something that smells of fresh linen on the sheets
e) doing nothing, (the bed stays made up as is until used)

(this may have to be a poll)
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Joanna wrote: 1. Take out of tumble dryer and roll into a ball.
That's the way I've always done it too!!!! :lol:

BUT....

(drum roll)....

Last night I folded my first fitted sheet!!!! And yes it is easy once you know how!!!! So I may be mending my ways in the future.... :D
Ju

Post by Ju »

Joanna

6. Good question - I would probably leave a bed 2 weeks, but no longer.

7. If less than 2 weeks then a. , If more than 2 weeks then I would completely change the bed with fresh linen.

If a bed was unused, but someone had been sleeping in the other bed, and had used the spare to sit on/put suitcases on, then I change the duvet cover, and I leave the sheet (as long as it is obviously unsued - if there is any doubt I change)

In terms of sending ironing out, I would love to, but it would eat into our profits significantly. This is our business, and our only source of income. I cannot afford to give away some of that income to get work done that I am capable of doing myself. I am however having nightmares about the September bookings as I will be 8 months pregnant by then and I am not sure how I will feel about the pile of ironing! Maybe I'll treat myself to a laundry service for the last two weeks. But then again I could do the ironing, and spend the money treating myself in another way. umm?? :?

Ju
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Joan supplies fresh bed linen and towels each week.

Alan
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I did tryo to fold the fitted sheets on Sunday evening, but they somehow ended up in a knot. Perhaps it;s just as well my changeovers are not my job.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

6. How long do you leave an unused bed before you freshen for next guests
The old fashioned thing used to be - put a mirror in the bed and if it doesn't mist up the bed isn't damp :lol: Mind, when we were kids mam used to put the hot oven shelf wrapped in a towel in the bed to heat it up so that's not ideal!!
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

I've found this website www.kingofcotton.co.uk

Has anyone used them before, their prices seem very cheap.

Michelle
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Wow!! Yet another towel thread! I've only just stumbled across this so now I'm playing catchup!! Deb's husbands' shirt folding treatise was impressive! I use heavier duvets in winter than in summer, storage probs though :cry: I use different colours in different rooms ( green room, blue room etc) but the same lacey throw on the beds in each room - I bought loads of them in Gibraltar- lacey throw sounds yucky but they're not, they're hand made and rather tasteful :wink: I use colour co-ordinated towels in the bathrooms that also match whichever bedroom I put them in. I don't do the changeovers any more so it is easier for the person doing it to know what goes where.She has the keys to my other house too so she takes things there when needed eg, winter duvets in summer. I had summer weight duvets on last October- it was still really hot- and we had guests from New Zealand.They asked if I could replace the summer weight duvets with wool blankets because thet were too HOT and they were used to blankets!! I scoured the shops but the blankets hadn't come in yet so I had no choice- I bought a dashing grey one and a bright yellow!! They were delighted and said they were much cooler now!! :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com