Thoughts on advertising progress

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Happylady

Thoughts on advertising progress

Post by Happylady »

Got our first booking and had an enquiry. Have just put a website up on Promote my Place and wondered if I could have feed back on http://fileyholidayhome.promotemyplace.com/.

Also done a F/b page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Filey-Hol ... 6665036112
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

A bit sparse so far, but definitely headed in a positive direction. :wink:
The only comment I can make so far is on your rates page:

"Short breaks 70% of full price"
What is the definition of a Short break ?
2 days, 3 days, weekend, midweek, 6 days ???
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

yes I know its sparse at the moment but flat is still being refurbished so just wanted to get it out there. Will adjust shortbreak definition. Thanks :)
Marks

Post by Marks »

This price band date look a bit odd: 7 Sep to 7 Sep

I assume the missing dates (29 Jun - 6 Jul, 13 - 20 Jul, 31 Aug - 7 Sep and 7 - 14 Sep) are booked? I didn't see a calendar?
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

yes they are booked but think I'll amend, thanks
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Well that was an easy review, as there's so little!

The only typo I picked up was your surname on the enquiry page needs a capital "T".

In the accommodation I would personally put the bathroom /shower etc last as the lounge, kitchen, bedrooms etc are the priorities. (clearly a bathroom is imporatnt but I hope you understand me :) ). I also wouldn't call it family accommodation as you are narrowing your market. Two beds sleeping four has a lovely wide appeal to a great many guests apart from families. :wink:

That is a fab beach and a real pull for guests I'm sure. Have you any more photos of the area that you can add in the meantime?

Good start though.
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

thanks, got another couple of piccies of Filey so will put them on. Really appreciate your comments very helpful and will edit my text. To be honest the site is very much work in progress as I had an hour to fill today

The only typo I picked up was your surname on the enquiry page needs a capital "T".

In the accommodation I would personally put the bathroom /shower etc last as the lounge, kitchen, bedrooms etc are the priorities. (clearly a bathroom is imporatnt but I hope you understand me :) ). I also wouldn't call it family accommodation as you are narrowing your market. Two beds sleeping four has a lovely wide appeal to a great many guests apart from families. :wink:

That is a fab beach and a real pull for guests I'm sure. Have you any more photos of the area that you can add in the meantime?

Good start though.[/quote]
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Nemo wrote:Well that was an easy review, as there's so little!
You wouldn't bake a cake and offer it for judging at the local flower show without having all the essential ingredients in the tin before it goes into the oven, so I'm bemused when I see live websites that are still a 'work in progress'. Even if you're just starting out, you need to reassure potential guests that you can deliver a wonderful holiday experience. And people will read as much into what's missing as what's on offer.

That's a terrific header photograph but (IMO), it would be markedly strengthed and would improve the balance of your home page by cropping top and bottom to make a panoramic shape (and by putting a little detail into the right hand edge and increasing the contrast).

Jim
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

fair enough, realise I prob should have waited before making available for public view. Going to look at it now!
As regards the picture quality, bit technical for me!
Jimbo wrote:
Nemo wrote:Well that was an easy review, as there's so little!
You wouldn't bake a cake and offer it for judging at the local flower show without having all the essential ingredients in the tin before it goes into the oven, so I'm bemused when I see live websites that are still a 'work in progress'. Even if you're just starting out, you need to reassure potential guests that you can deliver a wonderful holiday experience. And people will read as much into what's missing as what's on offer.

Jim
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Happylady wrote: As regards the picture quality, bit technical for me!
If you email me a decent copy of the original file (not too big please!), I'll do it for you. PM me and I'll send you my email.

Jim
Jenny C

Post by Jenny C »

On the accommodation pages, the last sentence should read "it's chilly" rather than "its chilly".

I would say "second bedroom" rather than "2nd bedroom"

"there's lots of pubs..." should read "there are lots of pubs"

A couple of thoughts occurred to me on reading this page:
- some people might be put off to think there are lots of pubs on the doorstep as they might worry about noise at night - maybe "lots of pubs etc within easy reach" might be more appealing to a wider market.

- do you think you could buy a few wii games? A wii is not a huge selling point if someone doesn't own one already - if they know that no games are available, they won't be able to use it. If they have to bring their own games, they could have just brought their wii along as well... We got a wii at Christmas and have just bought some games cheaply on Ebay.

On the Enquiries page:
- you need a space after the comma in the first sentence

Photos:
- I wouldn't include the photo of the "work in progress". When we renovated our stables last year, our website was up and running for a couple of months before we posted any interior shots. I just thought it would be offputting to guests who might think that what they saw in the photo was going to be what they got when they arrived, or they might panic that the refurbishment wouldn't be finished in time (you don't say when the photo is taken!) Instead, use lots of lovely description about how beautiful the property will be when it's completed, and perhaps offer a discount for early bookings. It worked for us - we had loads of advance bookings, even with no photos.

Rates:
It would be very helpful if you include an availability calendar. There are lots of strange weekly gaps in the dates you have available. It isn't clear whether the gaps are for different price bandings, or because weeks are booked. As a potential guest, I would be put off booking where it was not clear from the website whether the property was available on the dates I wanted.

My overall impression from looking at the website is that is easy to read and navigate around the site, but that I don't really get any idea of the standard of accommodation that I am to expect. For example will it be at the luxury end of the market (top quality linen, china, furnishings, decor etc) or slightly more basic? These things are really important so that guests can decide whether the property is what they are looking for in a holiday home.

You should have a look at Kendal Cottages website - they market a luxury apartment which sounds like a similar kind of size and market as the sort yours might attract, and have an excellent website.

Jenny
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

Hi Happylady, my first impressions:
  • Lovely opening pic of the beach & sea
    If you are on the sea front, emphasise it with a Google map to show the location
    The accommodation page should have some pics of the main rooms (lounge/bedrooms/kitchen/bathroom)
    I wouldn't have a pic of the living room whilst under renovation
    Try and replace some of the photos with sunny ones when you get the chance
    Try and get some more pics of the local area, and expand on the ideas for places to visit and activities
Good luck with your endeavours - I find the process of improving the web site is a continual one!