More descriptive thread headings please!!!

To suggest improvements and additions to the forum, or ask about technical difficulties using the forum.
Normandy Cow

More descriptive thread headings please!!!

Post by Normandy Cow »

Although I'm about to use a couple of example threads to illustrate a point, I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular as I think we have all been guilty of this (I'm sure I must have). But can we PLEASE all make the effort to be more descriptive in our thread subject headings?

For example:
Heading:
Does anyone know?
Body:
when Ikea in Catania is due to open?
I have abolutely no idea about IKEA in Catania, and if the heading had said something like
When is IKEA in Catania opening?
I wouldn't have bothered opening the thread.

Similarly
Heading:
Stupid, stupid me...
I've been keeping tabs on this one, because it is an interesting subject, but as there are so many threads currently active, I sometimes forget which one's which, so it would be useful to have some sort of "reminder" as part of the heading, such as "silly me, forgot to get phone number" or something similar.

Sorry if I come across as a grumpy old woman (especially as I still consider myself as a lively enthusiastic young girl :lol: ), and some may say that the time I have spent posting this message has probably far outweighed all the times I've clicked on a topic unnecessarily, but it's something that has got on my nerves on quite a number of occasions and I just wanted to get it off my chest... :wink:
Last edited by Normandy Cow on Wed May 02, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

sorry I've offended you
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

All Done NC. :)

Hope it doesn't confuse anyone looking for old title. :lol:

Ruth
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

tree-peony wrote:sorry I've offended you
Tree Peony, you haven't offended me at all, and you are by no means the only one who starts off a thread in this way. As I said at the start of my posting, I'm sure that I have too!!! :D

I just wanted to raise the subject so that we ALL think about how we start off new threads....
enid

Post by enid »

Good point NC - I'll try to be less cryptic when I start a new post. Like you I don't follow all the threads so this little hint will be useful I think :)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

good idea NC - I do tend to dip in and out, selected threads on title...and I know I've been guilty of being cryptic when starting threads (in fact I always get nervous when starting a thread :oops: I always imagine no-one is going to find it interesting or reply :roll: )

mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

Can the title of a thread be edited later without messing up subscriptions and, if so, by whom?
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Old thread - don't remember it - and I've probably been one of the worst offenders. But I like a thread title to be intriguing - probably as a result of my misspent formative years lurking around newspaper offices.
Jim
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

The title can only be edited by the starter of the thread or a mod.

I believe it does not affect subscriptions,just changes the title but all those subscribed will still be subscribed. I guess if you do this you just want to add to the title rather than change it completely?
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

I like intriguing titles too but they're more effective when a thread is new and I would also give a very substantial weighting to who the original poster is when deciding whether to read. Jimbo, I'm not that interested in chickens or magic (or even plants :wink:) but looked at your great photo this morning anyway!

If a thread has matured and contains useful reference material I think it's helpful to future readers if the (revised) title can reflect the content.
tavi

Post by tavi »

totally agree, Normandy....and it can only be helpful to us as we're more likely perhaps to get helpful answers whatever our question is.
tavi

Post by tavi »

good grief just noticed this thread is nearly 5 years old!