how many photographs?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
dizza2560

how many photographs?

Post by dizza2560 »

Hello again,

Looking for some advice on how many photographs are needed. Our property is with Sykes, it only has an exterior photograph at the moment. We have Tracey BLoxham coming in April ( found her in the services forum ).
The package I have gone for is 10 photographs. The house has garden to 3 sides, 4 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, dining room and bathroom.
Do you all think 10 photographs will suffice, or should I purchase more?
Thank you all in advance.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Well, admittedly I've not used a pro photographer, but I have several hundred photos of the house, gardens and area on my hard drive ... Some of those - all right, quite a lot of them - are rubbish shots :D which hopefully won't apply if you're having yours done. But it gives me a good choice of different times of day, different lights, different room settings etc etc.

I'm not sure whether you mean that your advertising package includes 10 photos, or whether you're talking about the package you've agreed with your photographer. If the latter, to be honestly I'd say way not enough! Ten would just about cover the basics of your house and garden but it doesn't feel like much for a biggish house. What happens if you don't like one or more of them?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

10 is really not many but I've had a look at her site and she's taking lots and then giving you the pick of them. I would just get a price for extra images as she offers that possibility? The only thing you don't seem to be getting is the dusk shots as she won't be there all day. Hopefully you will get the different rooms from different angles if possible.
dizza2560

Post by dizza2560 »

Thankyou for the replies. The package I have agreed is for 10 photographs from the ones she takes, it will be my choice, but plenty to choose from. I am able to purchase more, and I know I will be tempted to, I just wondered whether it was enough to give a feel of our house, and whether more would be a waste of money as people may have enough photographs to decide to if they want to book. I thought 3 externals and 7 internals (one of each main room) may be enough, but over to more experienced LMHatters! Still a real newbie!!!!!!!!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I think I'd try and look at it through the eyes of a potential guest - so that's you, then, looking at photos of one of a dozen places you're thinking of booking. Hmmm... is there a photo of the bathroom? No? I wonder why not........ I can't really tell how big this room is - I wish there was another photo from a different angle.......

You get the idea!

I've only recently taken ownership and control of our website and I'm currently taking photos to replace existing ones, but as soon as I've cleared my backlog of essential jobs I'm going to stick as many photos as I can on there! If somebody doesn't want to look at them, that's no problem; if they'd like to see something that isn't shown, then that is a problem - particularly if they move on to the next property on their list!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Yep, 100 per cent with Greenbarn on that one! It's your photos that will 'sell' your property and set you aside from others - the days when people were content to know that there's a bed and a cooker and somewhere to sit have long gone - thank goodness.

I have 2 suites each with three big rooms - my website home page has 9 photos; there's a page for each suite, with six main photos plus a 'see more photos' link to a gallery where those who want to see more (and they do - I can see that from Google analytics) can see another 20 or so photos ... plus there are lots of photos of the outside. And that's not even starting on the local picures ....

Imagine the potential guests who might be looking to book somewhere like yours: who are they? What are the things that might be important to them? What are your USPs? And then don't just tell them, show them ....
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I'd wait for the results of the shoot. Chose your 'package' ten images and then consider each of the remaining shots to see if they add anything new, or merely duplicate, those you've already chosen. Given the way your photographer structures her shoots, it's obviously in her interest to produce a good range of enticing images, so you may find that you're tempted to buy more.

Remember that you may have need of additional pictures in the future - perhaps if you add a blog or produce printed promotional material. Can you return to the photographer further down the line to purchase more stock, or does what you don't buy immediately get deleted?
Jim
Marks

Post by Marks »

I don't have a website but I use the maximum number of photos offered by the 3 listing sites I advertise with: 30 with one and 24 with the other two sites.

Use as many as you can as long as they are not too similar.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.