hot tubs

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
belllinda

hot tubs

Post by belllinda »

we have just started letting our holiday cottage, we have a hot tub in a log cabin and wondered how often would we have to change the water and check the chemicals
enid

Post by enid »

Kevin is the pool and spa boy here. Thechemicals last about 8 weeks depending on how often it's used. He checks the levels weekly and changes the water every 3 to 4 months again depending on use.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Interesting question. As you're providing the hot tub for use by paying guests, it seems you have significant responsibilities. Hot tubs provide a near-perfect environment for legionella, and this information sheet from the HSE explains a lot.

A nearby owner of some lodges has two hot tubs and does indeed empty and clean them every week, but for his market sector he thinks they're worth the effort and attract people specifically looking for a hot tub.
Windy

Post by Windy »

They do indeed attract guests but they also attract a lot of complaints if guests are not informed of the need to keep the noise to a reasonable level.

The guests using them often seem to feel that they are really just warm places to sit whilst having a lot to drink outside late an night, and the ambient noise from the pump combined with the booze means the volume of conversation often becomes very annoying for other nearby guests.

Noise from the hot-tub near one of our lodges is one of the few complaints we get.

Changing the water weekly could get very expensive in terms of both water and power couldn't it?
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

We now charge for the use of the jacuzzi - for the past 4 months anyway. It is now an optional extra due the big rises in electricity costs here.
However, because of this, we change the water and reheat the tub for every new paying guest who opts for the jacuzzi and we inform them of that before they select. We change the filter and add new chemicals each changeover or leave the tub empty if they don't wish to book it.
So far, everyone has booked it this year. It is more popular than the heated pool.
Ours is quite large, a 6 seater with lie down bed area. It takes very little time to refill and a day to reheat - 24 hrs max. - so we turn it off late Friday night and empty it, refill and it is nearly ready by their arrival next day.
The charge we make covers the cost of running and they have access to the tub anytime, night or day.
belllinda

hot tubs

Post by belllinda »

do we provide robes to use along with the hot tub, they take a bit of washing and drying
belllinda

wood burning stove and hot tub

Post by belllinda »

has any-one an idea of how much to charge for a bag of logs ,

and also how much to charge for the use of the hot tub as we're finding that it needs water and chemical change each change-over, even tho' we ask people to shower before use, its debatable whether they bother to, the state it gets in
belllinda

short breaks

Post by belllinda »

as this is our 1st year, we are going for friday changeover so short breaks can be taken if the week is'nt sold, is this a viable thing to do financially, as there is a lot of work involved - not that i'm afraid of work as long as there's a bit of profit in it, what do other's think
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Hi Bellinda

Can't help with hot tub Q's; we provide bathrobes and slippers for indoor use for our guests and decided on the lightweight waffle ones from Richard Haworth. They're very light, easy to wash and dry, and compared with the Out of Eden ones that we also tried they're 100% cotton (OOE are 50/50, I think) and a nice touch is that the belts are attached at the back, so they don't get separated in the wash. We tried some towelling ones, but they're a pig to wash as they take up much more room in the machine, a pig to handle when wet as they're so heavy, and take a long time to dry. Nice to wear though :D

Logs - our logburning stoves are more for atmosphere than heating, as the properties have underfloor heating which works really well. We supply logs and kindling, and then it's up to guests to buy more if they want them. We'll sell them a bag for a fiver, which is pretty much the same as they'll pay if they get some from a shop or petrol station, so that's our guide.

Short breaks - go for it. You can sell a weekend or midweek at typically between 70% and 80% of a full week, so if you can sell both you're in profit despite the extra changeover costs. Short breaks seem to be getting more popular, and a guest staying for a weekend is a guest who finds out what your property and area is like and may return for a full week - or another short break. We've had some returning guests who have had five short breaks with us in three years.
belllinda

Post by belllinda »

thanks Greenbarn,
your advice is very helpful, i wish i'd got the lighter robes, but need some extra for changeover, so will try the ones recommended.
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

Bellinda - we now charge £30 per week for full time use of the jacuzzi - for years before, it was free of charge.
This covers the extra chemicals and extra electricity for the weekly 24 hr reheat and water change.
I now stop worrying about its running costs when I hear the heater kick in every now and then.
I don't provide dressing gowns because we have two houses on site and therefore 12 beds. I would not be able to launder 10 gowns weekly, plus all the bedding, towels, bath mats and tea towels that come with a 10/12 person, double house rental and still be able to put everything back in both houses ( my pet complaint when leasing two houses so close to each other - everything ends up in one house .)

:D :D :D