Responding to enquiries

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Happylady

Responding to enquiries

Post by Happylady »

As a newbie have been taken heed of useful information on here. When I've had an enquiry I've phoned rather than emailing to try and give a more personal touch (and to get an idea of what they might be like). That approach hasn't yet borne fruit so am thinking next time just sending an email.

Just wondering when answering an enquiry by email would you attach a booking form/terms and conditions or wait to send these until you were told they wanted to book
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

My first response is an email, answering any questions they have asked and giving them the rates. I may follow up with a phone call a few days later to make sure my email didn't go into their spam folder. I don't do a contract unless I talk with them on the phone and then I fill it in, email it, then they send it back...

That's the quick version of what I do.
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If you have phoned rather than emailed in response to an enquiry by email I'm not sure how much advice on this forum you have read as I think the majority of owners think that phoning is a last resort and too intrusive if the enquiry is by email.
As is emailing a response to an enquiry complete with booking form and terms and conditions.
Just too pushy.
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

la vache! wrote:If you have phoned rather than emailed in response to an enquiry by email I'm not sure how much advice on this forum you have read as I think the majority of owners think that phoning is a last resort and too intrusive if the enquiry is by email.
As is emailing a response to an enquiry complete with booking form and terms and conditions.
Just too pushy.
"Telephone or email? People who switch from replying by email to telephoning say that their conversion rate improves dramatically. Your response time will be quicker and if they like you they may commit there and then. But this is not best for everyone-if you come across poorly on the phone but write well you will be better off charming your prospect by email"

quite a terse response there but this is on one of Paolo's information sheets - perhaps you've not read them.

I agree that attaching booking forms may not be a good idea which is why I asked for advice.

Thanks for your info
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

Wendy@NarrowsCottage wrote:My first response is an email, answering any questions they have asked and giving them the rates. I may follow up with a phone call a few days later to make sure my email didn't go into their spam folder. I don't do a contract unless I talk with them on the phone and then I fill it in, email it, then they send it back...

That's the quick version of what I do.
Wendy
thanks, think I might give this a try
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

We respond to e-mails with e-mails. We don't send the detailed terms until they have said they want to book their dates.

We do take phone calls, too, of course, and we follow up by e-mail with those who have booked on the phone, just so that they have all the information in black and white.
brendan

Post by brendan »

As per advice here I tried phoning or/and follow up phoning. It has never worked for me despite the fact that I'm charming, pretty fluent in several languages and a born saleswoman (lol)....I've always felt a tad pushy doing it.

My advice is to reply immediately and be warm and professional.

Tell the punter that 'you'd be delighted to welcome them (use their names) for the dates they request'. Be clear about the price etc.

Most importantly, tell them what happens next....i.e. if you wish to confirm your reservation please e mail me and then I'll send you a contract and blah blah.

Always offer to help them with any other detail/questions they might have .....

If you're replying in other languages use the formal method of address as in ' vous' for the French (especially the French - they are very formal) or 'usted' in Spanish.

Hope this helps!
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Another vote from me for replying to an email with an email, and not sending a booking form until they've said they want to book.

I think doing anything else would send out the wrong signals.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I've never phoned an enquirer.. and agree with the others - an enquiry by email needs a response by email.

But still important to make sure they know they can phone you if they need/want to (I think some guests like to so they can do a mini-character analysis on you over the phone! :) )

Respond as soon as you possibly can.

Read their enquiry carefully, pick up on any clues that their enquiry gives you so that you can make your response more exciting.

Give them slightly more information than they've asked for but not so much that you bore them!

No, definately would not send booking form with first response, but do state at the end of your email that you'll be happy to give them any other info they need.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I do send a link to their booking form at the end of my email plus links to pages with info about the region.
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

Many thanks for all your replies most helpful :)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

tavi wrote: Respond as soon as you possibly can.

Read their enquiry carefully, pick up on any clues that their enquiry gives you so that you can make your response more exciting.

Give them slightly more information than they've asked for but not so much that you bore them!
Agree, spot on Tavi. It's a fine line we're treading ...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

Yes, I agree, I always respond with an email too. I prefer it that way personally when I make enquiries myself as half the time people ring back when it isnt convenient, so email gets my vote too.
Good luck with it Happylady! :D
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....