Frommers children's guides

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
la vache!

Frommers children's guides

Post by la vache! »

Has anyone heard of Frommers, and are they considered good guides? One of my guests has just pointed out that I'm in the one for Brittany as recommended (inexpensive!) child friendly accommodation, with a good write up, and I was wondering how they found their recommendations as I've never been contacted by the writer of the guide.
My guest swears by them - has anyone else heard of them?
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Definintely heard of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Frommer

I think they've always tended to have a US bias, but I did find myself buying one a few years ago - for Brittany as it happens, LV.

It was this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frommers-Britta ... 0470055251

At the time we were looking for a book for our first trip to Brittany as a family, and I don't think there were many out there that were geared specifically towards families.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

That's the one I'm in K-C, I just don't know how or why as I've never been contacted by them. They don't seem to have an internet presence (except for the US) so I'm not sure how much use it is, but it is nice to be recommended in the guide, and it was free!
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I am Facebook friends with the author (or at least the author of the edition I have) if you would like me to put you in touch ever... she's very friendly and approachable. I believe she spent quite a lot of time in Brittany with her own family in order to research the book, and I think she also subsequently worked on the one for Normandy.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Frommers is VERY famous over here, Arthur (the founder) started off with publishing a book I think was called "Europe on $5 a day" :shock: I wish! :D that was a loooonnngg time ago obviously. I think his daughter now writes books and is interested in vacation rentals as opposed to just hotels... and family friendly vacations.

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Oh dear, I remember USING Europe on $5 a day. How ageing is that!!!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thankyou all for your comments about Frommers - it appears it is better known in the US than the UK.
KC, I would be very interested in taking you up on your offer to be put in touch with the author of the Brittany book, thankyou!