Splitting house to create holiday let

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

larrythelabrador wrote: Just down the road from this property is another where they have recently changed part of their house to a holiday let, there is no record on planning portal of them applying !!!
I suspect many people don't, and even fewer when it's change of use of a complete dwelling (probably don't even know it's a requirement for that). An issue can arise then if neighbours get arsey and discover the business is running without permission.

See this hoop sir? Now we'd like you to jump through it. Yes, I know it's ten feet off the ground and burning, but we do need you to jump through it. No logical reason of course, but we do insist that you do it. Sound familiar?
Windy

Post by Windy »

you mean "Yes, I know it's ten feet off the ground and burning.. but you will be pleased to know that we have done a fire risk assessment on it"
larrythelabrador

Post by larrythelabrador »

Update: Had a meeting with a person from planning (informal), they said that as far as they were aware, most people just go & do it without going through all the planning carp!
Said that as long as you ensure you comply with fire, electrical,
heating etc. requirements & have proper insurance you will probably be OK :shock: