Sheri Reva/Alice Janice - 3rd to 9th February

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
The Olive Grove

Sheri Reva/Alice Janice - 3rd to 9th February

Post by The Olive Grove »

Anyone else had this? Both from Holiday Rentals, both for the same 6 nights in February, and both with Yahoo email addresses - within 3 days of each other. In each case no party size quoted, and no questions asked.

Has anybody also noticed that Holiday Rentals no longer seem to be quoting telephone numbers, so it is not possible to check those out either.
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

I've had 3 enquiries through HR like this in last few days with different names for these dates - no guest details/phone numbers/message and throwaway emails.

And other HR enquiry does have phone numbers etc, so these people are just not providing the info. I think scam.

I think the scammers are really targetting via HR this last week ( see MO section too)!

(PS for mine the email was different to the name provided too)
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Yes, me too - two enquiries from HA in the last week - from 3rd to 9th February 2013

First one from Alia Arden email address gracielarentfro@yahoo dot co dot uk

Second one from Marcelle Henry email address annezspace-ane@yahoo dot co dot uk
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

These were the names that I got enquiries from:

Van Sadie azaleejarver at yahoo dot co dot uk
Ahmed Renae justajen2000-je at yahoo dot co dot uk
Reyna Josefine crystlehan-julie at yahoo dot co dot uk

and they all came through in the middle ofthe night
memes

Post by memes »

Only one for me - same dates though, we NEVER get Feb bookings (last year we were snowed in for 18 days), no nos mentioned, sent a reply via HR, heard nothing, weird, can't see how they are hoping to scam.
Have also had 3 or 4 supposed HR enquiries which when you hover over the return address are always from a comcast.com address, apparantly phishing attempts.
Very tedious.
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Spoke to HA-HR customer support about this -they said enquiries like this should have been filtered out by their systems - they will investigate how they got through.
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

I wrote them diving all the details about the scam emails that I got recently (in a very unusual % from them, alarming, IMHO!) and all that I got was the usual, stupid, useless canned response.
Dear Tiziana,

Thank you for contacting HomeAway .co.uk Customer Support.
We have now blocked the users of those email addresses.
Booking enquiry scams are the oldest type of fraud targeting holiday home owners. The basis of most booking enquiry scams is a fraudster acting as a potential guest, sends an email enquiry to the homeowner asking about renting their property. They then send payment by cheque for more than the total payment due and request you to return the balance by wire transfer. This scam is intended to work by exploiting delays in the cheque clearance system.

The easiest way to protect yourself against booking enquiry scams is to NEVER accept payment for more than the total amount due or return excess payments to the holidaymaker. If you become suspicious of any enquiry, stop communication and forward the email with the email address to Customer Support for advice.

Look for the following warning signs in your booking enquiries:

* A request to pay by cheque or bankers draft for more than the total rental amount due
* Excessive personal or circumstantial information in the enquiry about the reason for booking
* Requests that involve a third party in the booking process
* Requests for an unusually long rental period which involves an unusually high rental amount

If you need further assistance, please feel free to visit our Support page at:
holiday-rentals.co.uk/info/about-us/customer-support

Best wishes,

Cordelia
Customer Support Representative
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression