renovation

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

flatbread,

One way of finding good local tradesmen is by asking at your local Depot de Materiaux de Construction. Their customers are the tradesmen and they know their customers. That’s how I got started and some of the tradesmen are now family friends.

I prefer to use the local tradesmen rather than ex-pats mainly because of their knowledge of local materials and their understanding of local building methods. Also, those who have become friends can be relied on to react very quickly in times of emergency. Visits in the evening or at weekends? No problem!

Alan
flatbread

Post by flatbread »

Thanks Alan, this is a great suggestion.

And thanks all, your thoughts have helped clarify the next steps in the renovation - we will look for local tradesmen and builders to help us with the work.

As an aside, I can hardly wait to get this done, but my better half thinks we should take it easy and make sure we find the right people to do the work (given that we spent over two years looking for the ideal property - no point rushing now).

Your suggestions are a happy medium - I can engage in the immediate activity of locating the right artisans (keeping in mind, as Susan said, August is not ideal), and the BH can laze in the hammock planning the renovation...