What do you think?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Foxandsot

What do you think?

Post by Foxandsot »

Hello

Towels etc again!! Sorry!!!

I've found a website that supplies hotels etc with their linen.

http://www.kingofcotton.co.uk/section.p ... e5dd763a3d

Our villa sleeps six so I've worked out that I should supply 2 bath towels pp, 1 hand towel and 2 extra hand towels for the WC and then an extra set of these for the clean mid stay (am I making sense! :D ). If I go for the mid priced towels the order comes out at £150! :shock: Is this reasonable??
Or am I being tight? Should I have more towels?? Or less towels?

Someone help me, it's driving me mad!

Michelle
gh

Post by gh »

If my maths are correct, you are counting 40 towels?

3 per person x 6 =18x2=36+4 for wc=40/150 = £3.75 per towel, wow will need to have a full look at their site, inital reaction is good even if you went for the totr towels the cost for 40 would be a steal. Like the look of their Egyptian sheets.

Thanks for the link; you can never have enough linen, can you.
Marion

Post by Marion »

Looks like a great site and good prices too. I'll be interested if anyone has bought from them and if their quality is good.
Their bed linen seems good value too. Unfortunately their bed sizes for the fitted sheets doesn't seem to correspond to the ones we have bought here in France - 140 cm and 160cm wide.

I had a look around their site but couldn't see which countries they deliver too.
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

I'm going to go to their warehouse (it's not too far from where we live) to have a look at the quality before I decide to buy. I will also ask about the countries they deliver to and post back on here.

I took a trip to IKEA last night and their better quality towels were double the price. Their bath mats were cheaper though.

Michelle
Marion

Post by Marion »

Michelle,
That would be great and much appreciated.

Marion
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Hello All

Still haven't received my samples!! So I just called them and they will pop them in the post to me this evening, so I will post back what I think of them.

I asked which countries they post to and the salesperson said that when you place an order, when you put the delivery destination in, it will calculate the price. They definately deliver to France.

HTH
Angel

Post by Angel »

Grrrrrr... you have to register before they'll give the final all-in price.

I bought the 100% Egyptian cotton towels from www.dunelm-mill.com as they wash well. But I was dismayed to discover the colour had either been washed or sun-bleached out after a few washings by my agent.

Marion
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Angel, that shouldn't have happened. Can you return them? All my towels are from Dunelm and the colour has lasted well. I've been very pleased with them.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Bit difficult, kayley, the towels are in Cyprus and I'm in Birmingham! I bought 4 x bath mats, 8 x bath towels, 8 x hand towels, 4 x guest towels and two bathrobes in bright Canary Yellow (which I see they don't sell online).

You can imagine how I felt when I saw some had become washed out. I can only imagine the 'agent' used bleach or it was drying them in the hot sun.

The quality is superb though.

Angel
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I can see the difficulty!
I dry mine in the Spanish sun, so maybe the agent has used something.
Such a shame as they are of lovely quality. I know how you feel though as I had quite a lot ruined with what I can only assume was some king of prescription cream, that a guest was using. Next time I'll still buy from Dunelm (especially now I know I can order online, thanks) but I'll go for white.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My M&S towels were looking a bit sad when we went out in March, the nice cream colour was a bit grey lookingand the towels hard. Thanks to a tip from Aggie of 'How clean is your house' and they are restored to their former glory. I posted it on the towels threead somewhere towards the bottom.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

I invested in good quality towels at the outset.
Then one bathtowel was packed and taken home by someone (inadvertently, I'm sure but no-one owned up and I had to replace it); a hand towel was discovered to have a lump of glue on it, somehow; a bathsheet turned out not to be rust-stained but burnt (I plan to dye it navy); and then someone washed all my white towels with my blue towels....

the gods of towels hate me.

buy cheap. Or buy dye.
Lounging on the lily pad...
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Thanks Helen B!!

You set me a fair task today - wading through 16 pages of "Towels" trying to find your solution to sad towels and where was it? Page 15 of course!

So, for anyone who doesn't want to do the same, here is Helen B's post on restoring towels:

My nice new cream towels had started to go all washed out and hard when we visited last week. Coincidentally I opened the Times mag this morning and I though I should share this with you. With acknowledgement to Aggie McKenize and the times of course. To get your towels back to soft and fluffy , soak the towels in Calgon or a similar water softener, then rinse thoroughly.
Wash as normal using the maximum recommended amount of detergent. Don't add fabric softener. To keep the fluff factor,check your using enough detergent, and each time, add half a cup of clear vinegar to the first rinse (don't put it in the fabric conditioner compartment, as this is released in the final rinse), You'll have to keep an eye on the machine to get the timing right, tip it into the detergent drawer when the machine is filling with water. This is how hotels keep their towels fluffy apparently. Finally rinse and spin well, the more you spin, the more of the hard water is removed. Tumble dry to give the softest towels as it opens up the loops. Use medium heat then high for the last few minutes.
I was a bit shocked at how badly the towels had discoloured and stiffened, less cream more grey. Perhaps I need to give these instructions to my apartment manager. The water is very hard, as the kettle had already scaled up quite badly, so perhaps the vinegar will help.

Thank you Helen! Do you think this counts as resurrecting the towel thread??

Kathy
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

OOps,sorry, I did mean to look for the link, but i think I got busy at work or something, and forgot about it. I did say it was somewhere towards the bottom though.
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

I've received the samples from King of Cotton (500gsm & 600gsm) and they are both lovely, the quality seems really good. I think I will go for the 500gsm as it is a bit cheaper!