Confusing One

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Casscat wrote:And with that I am well and truly out of here. I have to believe that I can get solid advice and share my own views within a friendly, non-threatening environment. What I have done to warrant this kind of intimidation I truly do not know, but I am left very, very saddened by it.
That would be sad - that a person with a little less tact than most should drive you away from what I consider to be a very friendly and informative forum. TBH I don't know of another source of so much data for people in our industry - I am sure you would be missed by the vast majority of people who post here (and the frequency of posting is of no importance) but more importantly you would be a loss to our growing community. Whilst everyone's advice and options are important here, no-one has the right to force their own ideas of right and wrong on another - no matter how ever well intentioned.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

With the majority - all, in fact - of the posters on this thread clearly disagreeing with Kev's way of making his point, you can be confident that we're all on your side, Casscat.

Kev: a far more useful way of making your point would be to keep the "Signs of a scam email enquiry, and tracking IP addresses" sticky updated with advice and new sites that can analyse scams, email headers, etc.

viewtopic.php?t=2690

You obviously have the knowledge to do so and yes, it would probably take you a bit more regular time and thought to do that rather than randomly selecting a member to target, spoof their email address and unsettle them did. But it would be of genuine use, educate the less technical amongst us (me!) and possibly be of help to anyone Googling.

And perhaps when any of us post details of a scam, we could provide a link in the body of the post to the above Sticky so we - and anyone else who searches - sees that there are ways of investigating emails ourselves.
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

Ime with Casscat.
If you can keep your head when all around you are panicking.......you have probably not seen the whole picture.

Post by Guest »

:?:
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Sorry to hear this Casscat; I agree with the others that it was very ill judged. Reading elsewhere it seems as if kev planned to do it a few weeks ago but held off until now, partly explaining why you were one of the ones he emailed, despite not being on here currently.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Perhaps the way I went about that was rather ill judged and for that I truly do appologise. The 2 emails I sent were merely text emails and contained absolutely nothing malicious. I chose 1 person who would probably know it was fake and another who probably not know. I regret doing it at all now as it clearly caused upset, which was not my intention.

Every time I visit this section, I get angered by the publishing of emails, some of which will belong to innocent people. Yes, I'm an IT professional but I don't consider myself skilled enough to make that kind of accusation, unless I've actually had some email exchanges with the scammer. Of course it helps people looking on Google but does anyone even care about the names and emails of the people the scammers have used?
joddle

Post by joddle »

kevsboredagain wrote:Perhaps the way I went about that was rather ill judged and for that I truly do appologise. The 2 emails I sent were merely text emails and contained absolutely nothing malicious. I chose 1 person who would probably know it was fake and another who probably not know. I regret doing it at all now as it clearly caused upset, which was not my intention.

Every time I visit this section, I get angered by the publishing of emails, some of which will belong to innocent people. Yes, I'm an IT professional but I don't consider myself skilled enough to make that kind of accusation, unless I've actually had some email exchanges with the scammer. Of course it helps people looking on Google but does anyone even care about the names and emails of the people the scammers have used?
I'm very pleased Kev has accepted his action was ill judged and I trust he won't try anything similar again!

However as a consequqence of acting a bit too quickly and in a manner which upset most people and did not properly consider the feelings of those he tried to involve, the main point of what he was trying to say has now become secondary or even forgotton about altogether by most - and that is also a shame as I believe what he was saying about protecting innocent poeple is quite valid and something we do need to think about in our postings.

I do hope no permanent damage has been done on this occasion and that those who became unwittingly involved in Kev's little "experiment" can perhaps forgive a little and help us all get back to the real business of keeping everyone informed and updated about all those nastly people out there who really are really trying hard to do harm and wreck our lives!
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.