British Airways

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Zorba

British Airways

Post by Zorba »

I had a call this morning from a chap with a London/Pakistani accent. He claimed to want to register our property on the British Airways database and that I needed to be at my computer so that he could do it - or something very similar.

I said "sounds like a scam to me" he assured me it was not. My first reaction was `they would say that, wouldn't they' (courtesy Mandy Rice-Davis). Firstly he wanted our website, which he already had as he could not have got the phone number on any other site. I gave him this and he returned to asking could I give him a time to phone back when I was on my computer.

I told him I was driving (which was almost true) and to email so I could verify he was not a scammer - guess what, he didn't.

The number the call apparently originated from was 442037692366. That was spoofed as well as that number is a FedEX call number.
joddle

Post by joddle »

This type of scam is pretty widespead at the moment - yesterday my elderly parents, (in their 90s) received a call from a man claiming to be "Justin Millar" from "TalkTalk" - the patter was almost the same as in the previous post. Luckily my father who took the call thought it was a bit odd and said he needed to consut his son before he could do anything and then hung up. The man even gave a telephone number 020 328 61416 which if googled turns out to be linked to be a well known scam.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

We had exactly the same this week. Fortunately infinitely more tech-savvy OH answered the phone and just strung them along, telling them that yes, he did have the computer on and yes, he had done what the scammer on the other end asked him to do on Windows, but for some reason it wasn't working... could it be something to do with the Ubuntu sign coming up?

I would have thought any scammer worth their salt would realise at that point that their speal wasn't going to work, but no... it appears the scammer had never heard of Ubuntu and took him another 5 mins of OH stringing him along (he had time, he was drinking his coffee...:lol:) to finally hang up :lol:
onestep

Post by onestep »

Ok, so I'll ask.. What's Ubuntu??! :shock:
Essar

Post by Essar »

It's a free operating system for mobile, tablets & PCs.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

onestep wrote:Ok, so I'll ask.. What's Ubuntu??! :shock:

It's a pretty pared down OS for techies really.