HL Increase guest booking fee to 10%

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Thanks Apexblue

I just got off the phone and I am furious. They said this was a change 2 weeks ago and that "guests expect to pay a booking fee". I would actually be quite pleased for a guest to see just how much HL are taking form them.

My real issue here is that they do not call out or clarify where the extra 10% has come from. When you book the price just goes up, these is no detail on why. The person I spoke to just couldn't see the problem, is what they are doing even legal?

I has asked for an escalation and for a manager to call me back, I was told this could be several days as they have a long queue.

The next couple of weeks should be a busy booking time, they should not be making software changes, the system should be locked down. The IT team (if there is one) just don't learn.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I think it's another change designed to favour their commission listings.
Say you have 2 identical properties one of commission and one on subscription.
Before the change, guests would book the subscription one as its prices would be 10% cheaper. After the change, the prices look the same so they just choose one at random. If they choose the commission one and find it's more than they thought because of the booking fee, they'll book it anyway assuming that the other property would have a similar booking fee applied.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

newtimber, I think what you're suggesting is cynical, manipulative, misleading and unethical. And I think you're bang on the nail.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Can you not put in the text of your listing that the price quoted is exclusive of HL's booking fee (which is apparently calculated on the basis of 'think of a number...')? I do that on FK.

Post by Guest »

:?:
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I think HL will creep up further and further to match FK on TripAdvisor. I just checked my FK/TA listing and, as 7Aspire says, as long as you input dates, you get the breakdown on charges. My guests are now being charged 11.5% on a week's rent in January, 10.8% on a week in May.

Interestingly, I see on Trip Advisor, and I would guess that this is true of HL listings there, a banner has now come up over my main photograph saying "18% cheaper than nearby 2 bedroomed properties". I actually thought I was the most expensive and I am not sure I want to be marketed in this way. It looks a bit cheap and tacky to have this banner. If I was searching, I would then be tempted to go and look at the slightly more expensive property to see if it was nicer, on the basis that, mostly in life, you get what you pay for...

Post by Guest »

:?:
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've just had a look on Trip Advisor, and I can't even see my property on there any more.
JanB

Post by JanB »

My property is on HL under Bradford on Avon but has been mysteriously moved for the TA listing and now shows old photos and is under Bath. Not quite sure why this has happened but guess it is the techies changing things again.

So utterly frustrating that nothing seems to remain the same. As I now get only about 47 views per month, as opposed to the hundreds previously, I know it is not giving the exposure it should. Very disappointing.

I renewed last year, against my better judgement and it is now due again at the end of. January. I will have to seriously soul search to pay my money to them.
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It took a while but I think I finally got it through to them that there was actually a problem, and my property did not always appear on TA in this way. I got a list of excuses to start with, but persisted and gave them the link to the page it used to be on. It is now on there, as one of only two properties. There used to be quite a few more, so obviously other owners have not realised. I can see some on the 'near' list which should be at the top.
JanB

Post by JanB »

It does seem to be in a mess, so will open a new thread on this as we appear to have a whole new subject over and above the 10% commission topic!
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!