Do you provide high speed (fibre optic) broadband?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>

Post by Guest »

:?:
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joddle

Post by joddle »

7 Aspire wrote:
joddle wrote:we once had someone complain the tv was "too small" - it was a brand new 19" flat screen set in a small 40sq m flat ...
Sorry joddle, but my sympathies would be with your guest. My 63m2 apartment has a 46" TV in the living area and a 42" TV in the main bedroom.

In fact I am sitting in front of a 24" desktop monitor, which I find doesn't have enough desktop space at times, and I'm only sitting 18" away!

When you think that people sit watching a 10" tablet inches from their face or a 15" laptop on their knees, a 19" TV screen for a flat would seem very small to many people.
I may have more sympathy with that view these days but the TV in question was only 2 meters from the viewing point - and that was many years ago when 19" sets were pretty well normal and many flats still had small old 15" crt sets. The flat concerned was at that time advertised as "budget" and was very cheap compared with other accommodation in the area and in the advert it was clearly described as "basic and suitable for people on a tight budget" yet still these people complained - and as only Spanish TV was available (no way of getting sat tv there) they didn't watch it anyway!!! Buts thats not really the point ......

What I was really trying to get over though was that owners should not always feel they have to offer the very latest in technology - it will depend on the market they are aiming at and the prices they are charging. And really fibre-optic BB is only really needed when there are 5 or more poeple all on the wi fi at the same time all doing things using a lot of bandwidth. (and one has to ask how would they use all that capacity on holiday anyway unless streaming loads and loads of material?)

In our own villa we can only get 5mb internet (the fastest system available at that location) yet we manage fine using 2 laptops and an Ipad and the kids using their things as well. We even can watch streamed tv without issues - Its just a matter of being sensible and not all trying to do skype video calls or download videos at the same time!!!
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.

Post by Guest »

:?:
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

pambon wrote:I've only had one query about the speed and replied 54Mbps.
Just tested and it showed 4.51 for download and 0.40 for upload with the Ping (whatever that is!) 79ms.
I have a Telecom Italia all inclusive packet of, supposedly, 7Mb.

In 2013 one guest even complimented the WiFi service telling me that it was faster than her home and work :shock:
Ping is the time taken to send data from your IP address to somewhere else in the world and back again. ie the echo time. This will vary depending where you ping and how many hops it takes.

Getting 4.51MB for a 7MB paid for connection is fairly normal. They always quote and sell the maximum theoretical rate.

I sometimes only get 10MB on a 50MB cable connection. In France I measured 74MB on a VDSL2 phone connection. In Spain a pigeon carries my internet data packets.
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

Our exchange was upgraded to fibre optic by BT recently. As i personally need a fast connection and TV reception at our lodge is average at best we've been chomping at the bit to get the upgrade for both ourselves and guests.

We're now getting a very respectable 50mb down and even better are paying the same price as we were just for ADSL (via Plusnet) :)
pambon

Post by pambon »

kevsboredagain wrote:
pambon wrote:I've only had one query about the speed and replied 54Mbps.
Just tested and it showed 4.51 for download and 0.40 for upload with the Ping (whatever that is!) 79ms.
I have a Telecom Italia all inclusive packet of, supposedly, 7Mb.

In 2013 one guest even complimented the WiFi service telling me that it was faster than her home and work :shock:
Ping is the time taken to send data from your IP address to somewhere else in the world and back again. ie the echo time. This will vary depending where you ping and how many hops it takes.

Sounds like a bunny rabbit!

Getting 4.51MB for a 7MB paid for connection is fairly normal. They always quote and sell the maximum theoretical rate.

That is good to know....!

I sometimes only get 10MB on a 50MB cable connection. In France I measured 74MB on a VDSL2 phone connection. In Spain a pigeon carries my internet data packets.
The pigeon...I like! The other day I sent an email to the other side of town from Outlook and it took THREE days to arrive; a pigeon would have been more efficient!!!!!
joddle

Post by joddle »

7 Aspire wrote: My apologies joddle, I hadn't realised you were referring to something many years ago.
No worries - I should have made my self clearer

However - one thing people always forget about is the contention ratio - i.e. how many other ADSL subscribers are linked to the same spur at the exchange. In the UK this is normally 50:1 or 20:1 which means 49 or 19 other people could all be trying to access the same route though the exchange which would slow all the parties down. Sometimes your own connection seems fine but when you try and download something it appears to magically slow up - and that can be due to contention - ie others using the same gateway in the exchange and of course you have no control of that no matter what your supposed download speed is. Its a bit like a crowd tryng to get though a ticket barrier at the station - the more people in the queue the slower you move.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Fibre optic broadband is simply not an option in the Spanish countryside. I'm lucky to have internet at all! Mine is a sort of mobile internet thing (little gizmo on the roof to receive signal) and can have its moments of unreliability, but if anyone is looking for superfast fibre optic then rural Spain is not going to be very fertile hunting ground. As far as TVs are concerned, I have an LCD 42" job but who goes on holiday to sit and watch the gogglebox? With the blackout of Sky in Andalusia UK TV options are limited anyway. The TV is really just for playing DVDs to entertain the kids on wet days. I do now have limited satellite (channels 1-4 plus BBC3) but if anyone sniffed at the fact that the TV was too small or the viewing options too narrow I'd tell them to find somewhere else!
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

Hi

We live in rural France and rent out half of our watermill property. We have our personal 2MB ADSL connection and offer free Wi-Fi to our guests. This has worked fine for years with out any problems until recently. Our property can sleep 6 with smart phones/tablets each child connects and so do the parents so before me or my family connect (3 children) the system is already saturated and crash's !!

And to add insult to injury our last guest's (family of 6) came round ever day complaining about the internet connection.

More than 2MB is out of the question and so is another Tel line for the rental side of things !!

I don't know what to do ? I can't even read my own e-mails/booking enquiries at times !!

Thoughts much appreciated ?
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I'm sure there is some gadget or software out there that you could install in order to limit the number of users. Alternatively, explain the limitations of your connection and jokingly (but really meaning it) tell them that if you cannot connect for your business, you will disconnect them in order that you can connect - and you might forget to re-connect them.

:D
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Jensen wrote:Hi

We live in rural France and rent out half of our watermill property. We have our personal 2MB ADSL connection and offer free Wi-Fi to our guests. This has worked fine for years with out any problems until recently. Our property can sleep 6 with smart phones/tablets each child connects and so do the parents so before me or my family connect (3 children) the system is already saturated and crash's !!

And to add insult to injury our last guest's (family of 6) came round ever day complaining about the internet connection.

More than 2MB is out of the question and so is another Tel line for the rental side of things !!

I don't know what to do ? I can't even read my own e-mails/booking enquiries at times !!

Yes - you can Quality of Service based routing. This could either outright cap the transit to your guest users, or, you could prioritise certain services (for example, VOIP might receive priority over web browsing).

There are various options, but before offering possibilities, please let us know the make and model of your router, and whether you'd be prepared to consider changing your router upon advice.

I use free software called pfSense to provide some rather clever routing services. All it requires is a cheap computer with two network cards.

In short: yes, you can prioritise your traffic.
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

PW in Polemi wrote:I'm sure there is some gadget or software out there that you could install in order to limit the number of users. Alternatively, explain the limitations of your connection and jokingly (but really meaning it) tell them that if you cannot connect for your business, you will disconnect them in order that you can connect - and you might forget to re-connect them.

:D
Thanks for that ! We can't even use a 3G key as we have no mobile phone signal living at the bottom of a valley !
joddle

Post by joddle »

What I do at home to avoid the kids saturating my wi fi is only allow them access to the internet via a wireless extender. In effect there are now two wi fi networks in the house - the one I have access to is the main modem/router with direct connections to the internet line and the other, the extender, the kids have access to - but theirs relies on accessing my router by wi fi so if they connect too many things it slows their end of things up considerably but only partially affects me. Not perfect perhaps but maybe with some tweeking it could be made even better.
Last edited by joddle on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

edinburgh wrote:
Jensen wrote:Hi

Yes - you can Quality of Service based routing. This could either outright cap the transit to your guest users, or, you could prioritise certain services (for example, VOIP might receive priority over web browsing).

There are various options, but before offering possibilities, please let us know the make and model of your router, and whether you'd be prepared to consider changing your router upon advice.

I use free software called pfSense to provide some rather clever routing services. All it requires is a cheap computer with two network cards.

In short: yes, you can prioritise your traffic.
The property is such that we dont have/need a router and our Wi-Fi modem does sufficient coverage !
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Jensen wrote: The property is such that we dont have/need a router and our Wi-Fi modem does sufficient coverage !
Your wifi modem may include some basic QoS features. What is the make and model?