WhatsApp phishing scam!

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Cas & Irene

WhatsApp phishing scam!

Post by Cas & Irene »

This one is new! (for us)

We received today an email from a guest with the text that she had send us a WhatsApp message through by an email. (since a few weeks a new service from WhatsApp!!)
Had to click on a button to see the message by video.

When you do that, you get the regular ¨in-log screen¨ for your (Gmail) account. The rest is old news.

Probably is the email account from our guest hacked, so we have send her a message.

Be warned, the email looks very genuine!!
Sail with the wind from today and count your blessings!
http://www.Bed-and-Breakfast-Barcelona.com
St. Katharine B&B-Hotel Boat in Barcelona!
Follow us on Twitter : @Yacht_Barcelona

Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/BedandBreakfastBoatBarcelona
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Am I being thick, but what's the point of a Whatsapp message in an email? I thought the point about Whatsapp is that it is a stand alone messaging service so you either get a pop up via your mobile phone app or a message direct from Whatsapp if you have installed the software on your PC :? Attaching a Whatsapp message to an email doesn't make much sense (why not just write an email), or am I missing something?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Ah but how many unsuspecting people are there out there who have no idea what WhatsApp is and would innocently click on the link within the email?
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We've had a coupe this week - just deleted them
CSE

Post by CSE »

we too have had one.
What is the point, well those who do not have to put up with the useless iphones can now have whatsapp on our computers.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 97674.html
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I was querying what the point was in sending a Whatsapp message as some sort of email attachment when Whatsapp is an instant messenger. As I understand it you can have Whatsapp on your PC, but only if your (non-iPhone) mobile is connected via the same WiFi because what appears on your screen is to all intents and purposes a mirrorcast of what's on your phone. I do appreciate that because Whatsapp for PC is very new people may be taken in by scam emails purporting to contain a link to a Whatsapp message though.
Cas & Irene

Post by Cas & Irene »

@ Casscat
I don´t know why you should use WhatsApp on your PC, maybe some prefer to receive a WhatsApp instead of a email? Sending a WhatsApp from my Samsung is a disaster with my big fingers. For that reason it would be easier for me.

I think to be honest that, if you install WhatsApp on you PC, they(FB!!) have further and more access to you data on your devices.
LinkedIn in pushes me every week to connect my contact lists so ¨they can looking for new contacts¨. A friend of my did this and after he clicked on ¨Yes¨ all his contacts received a LinkedIn invitation! :evil:

Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I haven't any plans to install Whatsapp on my PC to be honest - I see Whatsapp's strength as being an 'on the go' messaging service and I don't lug my desktop around with me as a rule :mrgreen: The only sense in which it might be useful is that my 'man on the spot' in Spain often sends me Whatsapp messages which include videos and they are not easy to view in detail on my HTC Mini 2. They should upload automatically to Google+ but don't seem to be doing so at the moment.
CSE

Post by CSE »

LinkedIn: we too had an email from them via a friend. It was a mistake but yes they gather information.
As to Whatsapp on the PC there is nothing better than using a normal keyboard for "input".
Nice to see you back here Cas & Irene, it has been a while. :D
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Cas & Irene

Post by Cas & Irene »

Nice to see you back here Cas & Irene, it has been a while. :D
Thanks!