********17@buttoncourt-space.net via Owners Direct

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
SandyBeaches

********17@buttoncourt-space.net via Owners Direct

Post by SandyBeaches »

Anyone else had a similar one from Jill? Through OD received yesterday. Asking for 9 nights between 1st - 14th April but then saying she is free the whole of April. Also enquiring for 2 people in a sleeps 10 house.

Just seems a bit funny. I think I might send it to OD anyway, particularly as we've been hacked before.

UPDATE: Just spoke to OD and essentially they don't give a s**t. There is no way they can check whether it's a scam or a legit enquiry, no way they can check whether it's been sent to other people, and no way they can block the email address - OK so it may be a legit enquiry so I can see why they can't block it.

They've told me not to reply to it and that it's probably a scam, but it's so frustrating that there's a page on their website asking owners to contact them if they receive a scam but absolutely nothing they can do or are prepared to do to look into it.

AAAAARRRRRGGGHHH.

(sorry just venting a bit)
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

"no way they can check whether it's been sent to other people"

I haven't had this but I share your frustration with this remark. Surely, this cannot be true?? Any other (small) website I have asked in a similar scenario, has checked and blocked if this is found to be so. How come the big ones don't have the same facility? - I simply don't believe they can't. More like can't be bothered. Your problem, not theirs, it seems.
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

FelicityA wrote:More like can't be bothered. Your problem, not theirs, it seems.
Exactly. That's what annoys me. They say they want us to report it, but really it was a complete waste of my time.
Yorkshire Lass

Post by Yorkshire Lass »

Yes - I got the same enquiry and had the same suspicions as you. I did send a reply asking for specific dates to test the water.
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

www.kingshousescarborough.com
www.facebook.com/scarboroughholidaycottage
www.sandsendpavilion.co.uk
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

Thanks Yorkshire Lass - we get a better response and better answers on here than from OD!