Scam or just a chancer?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Bunny

Scam or just a chancer?

Post by Bunny »

I have got 550 to offer you for the period(from *-*-2015 to *-*-2015). Please if you do accept my offer, let me know, for more arrangement,, I hope to see you soon Thanks

Just received this via OD. There's nothing to suggest it's a scam and probably just someone trying their luck, bearing in mind the listed rental for the period is £890.

Anyone else had the pleasure before I reply?
kg1

Post by kg1 »

No but I would be tempted to send them a link to local youth hostel - pinched that one off LMH, but can't remember who from!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I would be tempted to tell him that you are not looking for bids because this is not an auction. I can understand someone asking for a modest discount in low season with perhaps under-occupancy, but his figure is actually an insult.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I've had one or two of those "our budget is xxxxx.....".

Probably just a chancer. A real scammer would be offering you the full price (or more, if you take into account the massive cheque he's going to send you) :D
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

I had a similar request from a German wanting to rent our beach apartment. I hesitated whether to reply or just ignore it, but in the end just sent a short email saying that our prices are as indicated on our website.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Thanks for the replies. Although it goes completely against the grain for me, I decided not to reply at all on the basis that I don't want to get into dialogue with him if he comes back with a better offer. As Casscat says, it's not an auction. I don't mind people asking for a discount but this one takes the mick.
aasta

Post by aasta »

Agree Bunny... would have ignored it too!
aasta
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Although it may be irritating I would be inclined to answer politely thanking them for their enquiry but saying something along the lines that you don't offer discounts. It doesn't cost anything to reply (apart from your time) and you never know where it may lead.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Dusty wrote:Although it may be irritating I would be inclined to answer politely thanking them for their enquiry but saying something along the lines that you don't offer discounts. It doesn't cost anything to reply (apart from your time) and you never know where it may lead.
Except of course, when you don't actually want it to lead anywhere.....