Dubious enquiry from HA

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
stork

Dubious enquiry from HA

Post by stork »

Good morning,

Got an enquiry some days ago from someone with an English name, thought HomeAway.com. Only unusual details in first round:
- HA.com (few enquiries from there)
- email address of letters and numbers @outlook.com

In my book, not enough to drop it. One week, mid season, specific dates.

A few days later I then got one from a different English name, also HA.com, similar sort of email address, same dates. Funny coincidence?

In the reply from the first one it then says:

"I'll make an arrangement with our Accountant to make and mail a Bank Check for the full amount through Regular Mail so we can be assured of our reservation.I don't have access to a bank transfer nor  pay pal account.I can only instruct my Accountant to issue the Bank check in Euros for easy cashing at your bank so i hope you can understand.So provide me with the information she need below:

She will need the above information...
YOUR FULL NAME
BILLING ADDRESS 
CITY 
STATE 
ZIPE CODE
PHONE NUMBER /CELL PHONE

We would also like to confirm the reservation on the following information:

Mr & Mrs NN
Karmelyuka Vul. Street, 51/11 
Lviv 79062 ,Ukraine, "

The address exists, you even have google street view. I get a number of hits on the name, including what looks like Ukranian spam on Twitter, but also a character in some of Tom Clancy's novels.

To me it smells. Do I:

- ignore
- report to HA
- tell we do not do cheques

Oh, never hear more from the second one.
mi casa

Post by mi casa »

We got the enquiry a few days ago and it seemed okay. A few days later we got the exact same email as Stork. Would not even bother sending a reply. Will inform HA even though they most probably will do nothing.
Would love to retire but can't so will have to keep doing the lottery!
tavi

Post by tavi »

Ignore, definitely.

edit: and if you're not convinced just copy the text of the email into Google and search.....it's a common one.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Funnily enough, I got this one too, but it started with a simple HA enquiry. I replied saying dates inconvenient would they like to change. They replied (quite reasonably) saying OK, new dates were suitable. I sent a booking form and new quote. So a few emails - all seemingly kosher.

Then finally got the identical email as stork, but this time, gmail flagged it as spam. The wording was so common to other scammers.

I just love gmail. Its spam trap is 99.9999999999% better than all the others put together.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
stork

Post by stork »

Yes, mine also started as a normal HA enquiry (apart from the HA.com source).

What puzzles me is that the dates are in May - that should leave loads of time for a cheque to bounce.

Of course, they could then cancel and ask for us to return the money…

BTW, I just searched for the name in the 2nd suspicious*) enquiry. This turns out to be the name an actress. Could be coincidence of course?

*) only suspicious because of the first enquiry.
stork

Post by stork »

I would actually not mind helping law enforcement getting to talk to these people, but if they are in Ukraine I have a feeling the authorities there have other priorities at the moment.

And I do not want to pick a fight with Ukrainian criminals without being sure my back is covered...
pambon

Post by pambon »

stork wrote:
And I do not want to pick a fight with Ukrainian criminals without being sure my back is covered...

Then perhaps you should move down our way :wink: :wink:
mi casa

Post by mi casa »

The dates they requested from us were also for May and Stork, e-richard and myself all have property in the Algarve. Why the Algarve? Anyone quess what they are up to because as Stork says plenty of time for a cheque to bounce.
Would love to retire but can't so will have to keep doing the lottery!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

The Algarve just because they are lazy and are simply working their way through the listings from A-Z sending the same stuff to each and every listing. emails are free !
stork wrote:What puzzles me is that the dates are in May - that should leave loads of time for a cheque to bounce.
When they do send you a cheque, it will probably be a bankers draft which will apparently clear in your account pretty instantly. The draft will, of course, be for a figure far greater than your rental, so they will ask you to send on the difference, typically via Western Union (i.e. cash). Then, some 6 weeks later or thereabouts, your bank will find out that the draft was a forgery and will remove the funds from your account. Pity that in the meantime you sent them cash that is not refundable :twisted:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !