Ikea Duvets.

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Hells Bells

Ikea Duvets.

Post by Hells Bells »

I bought a 12 tog duvet for my apartment, it was an error as I mistakenly thought it was a 9 tog, but apparently they don't do them in that any more. Recent guests have complained the duvet is too warm for them. As it was very cold when we were there and I had a dose of flu, I was freezing all the time, so didn't notice.
French duvets from Ikea (online at least) only say 'chaud' and 'legere' no indication of TOG rating. Is the 'Chaud' version still equivalent to the UK 12 tog? M is going to Ikea for some stuff for her own apartment next weekend, and she's offered to get a lighter replacement, but I don't want the thinnest one if it is 4.5 tog like the UK version.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Ah, yes, I've just had a look online at Ikea and I see that they have just completely changed their duvet ranges!

They used to label them 1-5 where 1 was a really light summer weight and 5 was one of those double ones with one thick and one thin quilt. I have number 3's in all my gites, which personally think are not thick enough for winter (I like to snuggle) but are perfect for summer.

I think you can gauge the thickness by comparing the "Poids Garnissage" the heaviest will be the equivalent to a winter one and the lightest will be a summer weight. Note also the size because the Poids Garnissage is the weight of the entire quilt not on a metre squared rate, so you will need to compare equal sizes.

Hope this helps.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Thank you.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Didn't actually help, as they don't have the same range on the website. Off to look at Italy now.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Looks to me from zooming in on the duvet labels on the photos that the 7,5 tog is the Chaud version.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

If you go to the Ikea GB site I think it has the same quilts (and more) complete with tog ratings. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categ ... oom/20529/

Why France doesn't have them I don't know - actually I do, it's France!
Last edited by Cassis on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

More detective work ....

If you google ikea rodtoppa tog - you can see that the rodtoppa quilt comes in three tog ratings 4/7.5/12 - so that is confusing :roll:

I think my 3 rated ones must be 7.5 (they're certainly not 12s) - I'd be surprised if chaud is 7.5 - that's not chaud to me!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I wouldn't have thought so either, but my 12 tog Rodtoppa has two red dots on the label, and the French Chaud one and UK 7,5 one have one red dot. My Ikea 365 one is a 9 tog, I don't consider 7.5 to be chaud either, 9 is good, 12 too hot.
Pink Chris

Post by Pink Chris »

Oh dear. I was planning on buying my duvets from IKEA in France. I think I will make a decision when I'm in the store or consider sewing Velcro onto the corners of two legere duvets.
Believe you can and you're halfway there - Theodore Roosevelt
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

That still only makes then 8, which isn't much more than a 7.5
As I have Ikea King size bedding, I kind of need the ikea duvets to go inside. Might have to either stick with the hot duvet or have a double quilt (bed is double with king size duvet on it).
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

It is a shame that Ikea have stopped their old system in France. I'd buy a légere one and then provide a blanket for when it is a little colder. I don't understand why anyone needs a 'chaud' duvet in the winter if there is central heating as it is rare that the temperature drops below 16°C in the bedroom.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Legere would not be warm enough for me and I have no way of storing the extra blankets and duvets. It will just have to stay as it is until the summer now.