Suspect Text

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Bree

Post by Bree »

Hi Stork, I have had the exact same text as you this afternoon and I am in the Algarve also from the same number. I haven't replied as I don't have 2 weeks in May together to offer and of course it looks suspect...
brendan

Post by brendan »

I had the same text as Stork and Bree. Not thinking, I texted back that it wasn't available but the text failed to send.

I just don't get the point of this one.
MiniMum

Post by MiniMum »

Elyudrea girl wants to come to Spain for two weeks in May as well. Her number for us was 123, which I think is a free mail merge text service.
hobbo

Post by hobbo »

I presume this scam is the same as many others.. You reply with an email, they then send you a reply including an 'attachment' possibly saying that it contains the names of the guests .. when trying to open the attachment you get an email error or some other prompt asking you to re-enter your email password. They then can intercept your emails and pretend to be you (the owner) and confirm bookings get payments etc. etc. the first you know about it is when the guests arrive!!

By initially enquiring by txt your guard might be down.
I have a very responsible position, if anything goes wrong I'm responsible ..
www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk
soldomus

elyudreagirl wants to come to Cascais as well

Post by soldomus »

Thansk for alerting me to the scam although I don't get what it is short of collecting a email database of owners.

[quote="stork"]I got one today along the same lines:

"Hi, I want to rent your property 2 weeks in May 2015! Plese email me at elyudreagirl@gmail.com if you have the property available."
ianthy

Re: elyudreagirl wants to come to Cascais as well

Post by ianthy »

soldomus wrote:Thansk for alerting me to the scam although I don't get what it is short of collecting a email database of owners.
stork wrote:I got one today along the same lines:

"Hi, I want to rent your property 2 weeks in May 2015! Plese email me at elyudreagirl@gmail.com if you have the property available."
Hi I just got an email with the same email address. It was sent via Flipkey portal. I have replied via the portal. There is so much span around at the moment it's just shocking!

thks for posting.
revdev

Post by revdev »

ianthy wrote: There is so much span around at the moment it's just shocking!
At the moment, about 1 in 3 enquiries I'm getting are suspect!
See the job, do the job!
http://www.premiumturkishvillas.co.uk
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Yes, I suspect my brief text the other days was as potential scam too.
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

revdev wrote:
ianthy wrote: There is so much span around at the moment it's just shocking!
At the moment, about 1 in 3 enquiries I'm getting are suspect!
Same here - problem is that the text/phrases of some are pretty good. What a waste of time and energy. I notice HA have put out a note saying they have a breach in their system and they are dealing with the spam etc.,