Gaetan Thomas

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

AndrewH wrote: "he and I" GB, but "him and me" sounds better. It's a changing thing and "him and me" is where the future lies.
I always thought I was ahead of my time :wink:

However, as a linguistic pedant now exposed as a fraud I fear I will have to be off to shoot I. :cry:
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

PW in Polemi wrote:How's your Greek, Andrew? Poli kala or simply etsi ketsi? :lol: Plenty of grammar rules to apply - or ignore because as our teacher kept telling us "Yes, you made a mistake, but did the message get across?"
Yes, if English is hard for a foreigner to learn to speak, then they ought to try Greek to see the real meaning of "hard".
My abysmal command of Greek amounts to just a tiny number of words. Poli kala = very good, poli kakos = very bad, poso kane = how much? Oh yes and a long one: eftikismenos = happy, which I learned from a pretty bikini-clad Greek girl by the swimming pool, who wanted to practise her English. (Not telling OH!)

When we moved to Greece there was a book in English on the shelves titled "Learn Greek in 20 Years Or Your Money Back", which about sums it up!

I am sure it is a scam.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

greenbarn wrote:However, as a linguistic pedant now exposed as a fraud I fear I will have to be off to shoot I. :cry:
Don't do it, GB, you will be sorely missed, as will your sense of humour! :lol:

Or should I be saying "sorely missed you will be" a la Yoda?!! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by PW in Polemi on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

AndrewH wrote:My abysmal command of Greek amounts to just a tiny number of words.
Shame on you, Andrew! How many years have you been there?

We arrived in 2008 with a smattering of useful (useless? "Perhaps you have 6 eggs?" !!) phrases courtesy of a "Get by in Greek" BBC language cassette (yes, one of those old antiquated things), and then took a Greek course - well, we forced the village school (area high school) to put on a course - and followed that by a load of private lessons tutored by the local retired (and as we now find out,very popular with his ex Cypriot pupils) teacher. We do all our shopping in Greek, as much as possible, and generally get greeted with "how long have you been here? My friend has been here for 20 years and only says hello!"

Having a smattering of Greek (we are by no means fluent) has certainly oiled the wheels for us, particularly in government offices - but that's another story or three! :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

PW in Polemi wrote:Shame on you, Andrew! How many years have you been there? ...

Having a smattering of Greek (we are by no means fluent) has certainly oiled the wheels for us, particularly in government offices - but that's another story or three! :lol:
Actually, I do know a little bit more Greek than I made out. All the youngsters here speak English and they start it in baby school. So that doesn't encourage one to learn the language. I have had the odd problem when dealing with bureaucracy. Once when speaking through the grill to the official, it was indicated that I should wait for five minutes, after which time her son (fluent in English) came by on his way home from school and sorted the whole thing out.

I have huge admiration for the younger Greeks. I know Greece has been in trouble lately, but when these youngsters take over the reins there will be a big difference.