Smoke Alarms

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
mikem

Smoke Alarms

Post by mikem »

Hi All,
As a newbie just setting up ( chambres d'hotes ) thanks for all the valuable information on the site ! I've encountered a problem with the new smoke alarm regs . A discussion between local expats has left me confused . One was convinced that the regular alarms were ok , another suggested that smoke plus fire detectors were required in cdhotes. Can anyone confirm the position and if more advanced detectors are needed where can I source them as the local bricos only seem to stock the regular models ?

Merci bien :D
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Hello mikem and welcome to the forum.

I see French Cricket has pretty much answered your question on the B&B page. She's right for places with 15 beds and/or 5 rooms and under. If you exceed either of those figures, there's a whole new set of regs that you have to adhere to, such as wired in smoke alarms, safety lighting and stairs isolated from the rest of the building.

Hope this helps
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Indeed.

But then it's not a chambre d'hôte but an ERP ...
mikem

Post by mikem »

Thanks to you both for prompt and helpful support ! :D
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Hi mikem - OH has just informed me that the regs on numbers varies from department to department so, if you're anywhere near 15 beds/5 rooms, it might be worth checking with the mairie what the limit is in your part for France.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I'm sorry to tell you that your OH isn't correct, gitemontjoly - the 15 person/5 room limit is part of national legislation and can't be over-ridden by an individual region or department: http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/prof ... 1521.xhtml
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Oh, okay - didn't realise that. TBH I thought it was more likely to be lower numbers than 15/5 rather than higher in other departments... but it's useful to know that it's the same everywhere.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

A little clarification for those of you have gites - there is a grey area between gites and chambres d'hotes - especially if you supply linen and cleaning. However, if your gites (like mine) are individual units for less than 15 people and 5 rooms, even though in total it exceeds that limit (27 people and 13 rooms for me) it is not classed as an ERP.
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

Does a two bedroomed apartment need wired in smoke alarms? We do have one but not wired in. I am aiming for a maximum of four guests.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Pendragon wrote:Does a two bedroomed apartment need wired in smoke alarms?
No.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Not unless you're intending on cramming 16 people in there :lol: