Alternative to Paypal

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
agalea80

Alternative to Paypal

Post by agalea80 »

Hi was wondering if anyone has any experience with an alternative to Paypal as a transfer taking service?

Anyone has any experience with Skrill (former Moneybookers)? Can these be integrated with an online booking engine?
Holiday accommodation in our Houses of Character, on the sunny, beautiful and relaxing island of Gozo.

www.gozofarmhousevacations.com
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I tried to make an account with Skrill, when it was called Moneybookers several years ago. Despite having 2 properties, they turned me down because my yearly turn over was not high enough.

Not sure who's online booking engines you mean but I've setup Stripe payments before and this would be one alternative to Paypal.

There are many more alternative but it often come down to monthly fees.
Beachbumbler

Post by Beachbumbler »

We just send our bank details to the clients. Seems to work, and no fees for us.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I've recently used Transferwise to pay back a security deposit to Germany. It cost me £1 and was very easy. Not sure if you can use it to request payments but I am certainly going to recommend it to guests if they wish to pay me by credit card. There is a button to 'invite friends' to use it and there is an incentive payment. I've been procrastinating for ages about taking credit card payments and was veering towards Stripe but I going to see if I can get guests to use Transferwise first, then there's no charges to me at all.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Bunny wrote:Not sure if you can use it to request payments
Indirectly you can if you email them the link or have a button on your website. I offer it on my payment page and so far 2 people have used it. Just 1 more and I should get 50 quid :D
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

OOOhh thanks Kev. I didn't realise there was a button you can have on your own website. I'll have a look for that on their site.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Bunny wrote:OOOhh thanks Kev. I didn't realise there was a button you can have on your own website. I'll have a look for that on their site.
I might have made the button myself. Can't remember now.
http://www.adorvillaspain.com/Icons/transferwise.jpg
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Found this, Bunny. https://transferwise.com/blog/2013-10/h ... ot-better/

Edit to say that they have a click through to 'get button' but it does not actually go there. It just goes to a page about sending money, not receiving it...
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I've not been able to find a button on Transferwise but I have found a unique link to invite friends to sign up. Only if they use this link will they get their first transaction fees waived.

https://transferwise.com/support/custom ... r-friends-

Seems like a pretty good offer to me but, of course, some guests won't want to spend time reading up on how it works. As it appears that they only get their first transaction for free it may also be a good idea to suggest to guests that they pay the full rental at the time of booking. But of course, that may not be appealing if the booking is made far in advance.

I've added the link to my website and I'll report back if it gets used. Seems like a good or better option to Paypal to me.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I've emailed transferwise to ask them where to find the code for the button and PMP to ask them if this can be done on their websites. You can do PAyPal I know and there are instructions on how to install a button elsewhere but I am not sure if that can be something like transferwise but I don't see why not as it will be essentially just a link, won't it?

Good idea to put the transferwise referral link on a website anyway. I have suggested it to several guests but no one took me up on it and were apparently happier to pay 2.4% at Homeaway payments or swingeing bank charges from America.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

agalea, I was assuming most of your transactions would come from abroad in recommending Transferwise. However, they won't be any good if there is no currency transfer involved. Hope I haven't confused the issue.
Essar

Post by Essar »

Discussed already - try this.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
pambon

Post by pambon »

Bunny wrote:I've recently used Transferwise to pay back a security deposit to Germany. It cost me £1 and was very easy. Not sure if you can use it to request payments but I am certainly going to recommend it to guests if they wish to pay me by credit card. There is a button to 'invite friends' to use it and there is an incentive payment. I've been procrastinating for ages about taking credit card payments and was veering towards Stripe but I going to see if I can get guests to use Transferwise first, then there's no charges to me at all.
Yes Bunny you can. I have had guests using it to pay me and I also use Currencies Direct with whom I have account. Excellent for me as a really small business.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Essar wrote:Discussed already - try this.
Thanks for the link Essar but that topic doesn't cover how to integrate it into our websites and how to encourage or convince guests to use it. It's great for us to use, but there is still a rigmarole for guests to sign up to it initially. So it's still not the ideal solution for receiving payments.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Bunny wrote:
Essar wrote:Discussed already - try this.
Thanks for the link Essar but that topic doesn't cover how to integrate it into our websites and how to encourage or convince guests to use it. It's great for us to use, but there is still a rigmarole for guests to sign up to it initially. So it's still not the ideal solution for receiving payments.
The discussion Essar referred to was about currency transfer services. These operate bank account to bank account (although internally the mechanism varies). To use such a service, you would need to sign up and prove who you are. This is the law. You cannot really compare such services against payment by credit card through Paypal, Stripe or whatever service you chose.

If you wish to encourage the use of Transferwise or Currencyfair then the best you can do is give your guests a page with a link where they can sign up. You cannot transfer money between bank accounts anonymously, which seems to be what you are hoping for.

I just received another deposit today by Transferwise from Norway. I think you'll find people are pleased to learn about such a service and try it out for the first time. The vast majority just opt to pay by Paypal with a credit card. There will always be people who will never use a money transfer service as they feel protected by using a credit card.