China Domain Name Scam

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Moira

China Domain Name Scam

Post by Moira »

Received the following emails, when I researched it a bit more turns out it is a scam to get you to register your domain name in China and pay a fee.

We are a Network Service Company which is the domain name registration center in Shanghai, China. On March 16, 2015, we received an application from Huapu Holdings Ltd requested "baronyapartments" as their internet keyword and China (CN) domain names. But after checking it, we find this name conflict with your company name or trademark. In order to deal with this matter better, it's necessary to send email to you and confirm whether this company is your distributor or business partner in China?
Kind regards
Scott Liu
General Manager
China Registry (Headquarters)
(full company name, phone number, website were provided, deleted them to shorten the post)

I did reply and confirmed they were nothing to do with me as I already know of another Hotel chain in China who are using my pictures to pretend they have properties in the UK.

Then received the following:
To whom it concerns,
We will register the "baronyapartments" as internet keyword and China domain names .cn, .com.cn, .net.cn, .org.cn and have submitted our application. We are waiting for Mr. Scott Liu's approval and think these CN domains and internet keyword are very important for our business. Even though Mr. Scott Liu advises us to change another name, we will persist in this name.
Best regards
Gareth Qi
Dear Madam,
Based on your company having no affiliation with them, we have suggested they should choose another name to avoid this conflict but they insist on this name as China domain names (.cn/.com.cn/.net.cn/.org.cn) and internet keyword. In our opinion, maybe they do the similar business as your company and register it to promote his company.

According to the domain name registration principle: The domain name and internet keyword which applied based on the international principle are opened to companies as well as individuals. Any companies or individuals have rights to register any domain name and internet keyword which are unregistered. Because your company haven't registered this name as China domains and internet keyword on the internet, anyone can obtain them by registration. However, in order to avoid this conflict, the trademark or original name owner has priority in the registration of China domain name and internet keyword during our audit period. If your company is the original owner of this name and want to register these China domain names (.cn/.com.cn/.net.cn/.org.cn) and internet keyword to prevent anybody from using them, please inform us. We can send you an application form with price list to help your company register these China domains and internet keyword during our audit period.
Kind regards
Scott Liu

I then notified the relevant agency in China.

Dear Madam,
Thank you for your email.
This is China Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC), who undertakes to operate and administer CN domain names and Chinese domain names.
Registrars certified by CNNIC are responsible for domain names’ registration. However, this company who contacted with you is not an accredited registrar by CNNIC. So please be cautious of this kind of suspicious issue especially when it comes to any fees that they ask you to pay. And uncertified registrar selling CNNIC’s product is not allowed by CNNIC, we will record this company’s information to strengthen market supervision.
Thank you again for the information you provided. Please let us know if you have further questions.

China Internet Network Information Center

Just thought I should share this in case the Chinese market is one where other LMHatters receive guests and are thinking of promoting their properties.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

The best tactic is clearly to send the first approach straight to the trash bin or you will probably end up being pestered for all eternity.
Moira

Post by Moira »

I haven't heard anything since, so hopefully that's it.