Any experiences with outdoor cinema screenings?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
logiebear

Any experiences with outdoor cinema screenings?

Post by logiebear »

We have about 2 acres of gardens and would like to make more use of the space so my husband had this idea of setting up a smallish cinema screen and projector so we could watch films outdoors.
I gather this would be ok if it were just for family but does anybody know what the rules are concerning leaving the equipment for our guests to use too? Would we need some sort of licence? If so, where do we apply for one?
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

It's a long time since I've dealt with them but I believe you would need a Public Screening Licence. Here is a link:

http://www.filmbank.co.uk/content.asp?id=45176

Not sure it's worth the effort TBH.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

You'd even have a problem if the film or sound could be watched/heard by passers by - ie the public. :roll:
logiebear

Post by logiebear »

Thank you Bunny! :)

I did think it could turn into a bit of a headache but my OH thinks it'll be worth paying just to leave the equipment in one place.

Although looking at the PVSL brochure, it does state "no outdoor screenings are permitted" which sounds a bit unreasonable. Is there really such a huge difference between this and guests watching a movie in our sitting room? :?
logiebear

Post by logiebear »

greenbarn wrote:You'd even have a problem if the film or sound could be watched/heard by passers by - ie the public. :roll:
Thanks greenbarn - the cottage is very isolated, someone would have to be tragically lost to stumble upon it! :)
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

You also have to submit quarterly returns of all the screenings you have done. TBH it's really not worth the faff for a holiday let.
logiebear

Post by logiebear »

Bunny wrote:You also have to submit quarterly returns of all the screenings you have done. TBH it's really not worth the faff for a holiday let.
I wouldn't be organising screenings as such, or even providing any films. We just wanted to leave the screen and projector in one place so our guests may use it if they have their own DVDs etc.

I think you're right though, the whole thing seems horribly complicated! :(
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Without reading all the rules again, if you are not actually providing the films you may be all right. And if you are in the middle of nowhere then...... You might be OK under those circumstances.