Natalya Zai?tsev

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Ben McNevis

Natalya Zai?tsev

Post by Ben McNevis »

This enquirer enquired for 2 properties this morning. One sleeps 4, the other sleeps 10. It's for 2 people! The dates are different but overlap. The two properties are in different regions of Scotland. They use an outlook.com email address and have no phone number. I can only think it's a prelude to phishing.

The enquiries came via OD.
email address is itse.na?ta@outlook.com

Ignore the question marks. I've forwarded one to spoof@homeaway.com
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
susanm

Post by susanm »

I have had an enquiry from this person too. She has now said she wants to go ahead with the dates and the cost I quoted but that she can't pay by paypal or bank transfer so she would like her accountant to send a cheque to me in £. I was suspicious, so came on here to see if her name had popped up!!!

We are also in Scotland - Helensburgh - the dates she wanted were August 28th - September 4th.

I am not going to respond to this most recent message from them but I still don't know how the scam would work? Just as well I have a suspicious nature!

The email on mine is: za_???itse@hotmail.com
GRL

Post by GRL »

She will ask to send you a cheque for too much to include business expenses or some such rubbish and can you bank it and then send her the excess. The cheque will be from a stolen or hacked account and will bounce, only she hopes you will already have sent the excess before realising this.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Rosie wrote:She will ask to send you a cheque for too much to include business expenses or some such rubbish and can you bank it and then send her the excess. The cheque will be from a stolen or hacked account and will bounce, only she hopes you will already have sent the excess before realising this.
Just to expand a bit: the cheque will be drawn on a foreign bank and it will show in your account within a few days - thus giving you the confidence to send the excess to Irma Scumbag who will be organising your guests' travel arrangements, car hire, theatre tickets, vital medical supplies etc etc. BUT - as it's on a foreign bank complete clearance takes about 6 weeks during which the amount credited to your account can be clawed back when the cheque proves to be fake or stolen. Of course, Irma has long since done a runner with what you sent, which turns out to be your own money.
There are some very nasty people out there, but most of them are easy to spot.