Pool Filter & sun heater will not work together efficien

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Morristhedog

Pool Filter & sun heater will not work together efficien

Post by Morristhedog »

I bought a solar heater for the modest 11,000 cubic meter pool in the garden. It is a round dome type.
Unhappily it slows down the pump so much that the water was scarcely being pumped in the pool, and I was worried about the chlorine tablet not being distributed sufficiently for hygiene reasons.
Currently it is disconnected which seems a shame considering the outlay, and the fact I want a heated pool.
What does anyone else have as an experience in this circumstance?

Is it possible to have valves to allow the heater to run for part of the time and the filter the rest of the time? Where do we buy these valves if they exist?

Why do people cover themselves in creme and oil and then leave it like a slick in the pool? How does anyone get rid of the muck?

I would be grateful for all kind suggestions.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way home by moonlight.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

You need to put a by-pass line in with a valve to throttle the flow a little so that water flows both through the heater and directly to the pool.
Automatic controllers do exist which measure temperatures and open and close valves to the solar - too expensive for your small set up.
As regrds the "scum" caused by cremes etc, you will just have to put up with it and clean the water line regularly.
Make sure you backwash regularly as this "scum" can clog the sand filter (I assume you have a small sand filter)
What would Plato do ?
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

Yes of course there is a sand filter. Do not know what Back wash regularly means??
I am happy to turn the valves on and off manually. At the moment since the instruction called for 4 hours on, two hours off, I bought an external use timer to achieve this.
I don't know what to buy or where to buy it in terms of a valve though. I live in the Dordogne if you could help me with your knowledge bornintheuk?
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

A little more accurate information is needed before we can get anywhere.
For instance a "11,000 cubic metre" pool is really a lake ! So what is the real size of the pool ? (lengthxwidthxdepth)
What size is pool pipework 50mm or less ?
Pump flowrate ?
A photo of the current valve setup and pipework would be great.
Over to you !
What would Plato do ?
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

Our solar panels are completely independent of the filtration system and its pump, which principally runs at night on off-peak electricity.

The panels have their own flow and return connections to the pool and are pumped by another small (domestic central heating circulating) pump, on its slowest setting.

A thermostat sensing the heated water temperature stops the pump when the heated water drops to about 30C, allowing the panels to heat all day if the sun shines enough.
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

Thanks for your reply bornintheuk.

The pool is a small Ubbink 4.3 diametre octagonal pool with 120 depth. It has a sand filter. There are tubes coming out underneath at the side. I will try to measure them tomorrow. I am sure less than 50mm. No it is a small pool not a lake.

Currently there is no valve set up. It is either one or the other? Although the man that said this has now gone awol.

I do not have solar panels. The heat unit is a coiled tube in a dome and cost around 190 euros in Leroy Merlin.

If you or anyone is able to help, I would be grateful.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Convoluted 38mm pipes?
Backwash is a setting on the filter valve (opposite the filtration position) must be used to back flow water through the sand filter to clean it.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Morristhedog wrote:Thanks for your reply bornintheuk.

The pool is a small Ubbink 4.3 diametre octagonal pool with 120 depth. It has a sand filter. There are tubes coming out underneath at the side. I will try to measure them tomorrow. I am sure less than 50mm. No it is a small pool not a lake.

Currently there is no valve set up. It is either one or the other? Although the man that said this has now gone awol.

I do not have solar panels. The heat unit is a coiled tube in a dome and cost around 190 euros in Leroy Merlin.

If you or anyone is able to help, I would be grateful.
On the return line from the filter to the pool there should be 2 tee joints to divert the water through the "solar bubble".
Between these 2 tee's there should be a shutoff valve so that water is diverted to the "solar bubble" and therefore collect heat from the sun.
If you leave this valve slightly open, start at 50% open, then some water will go back directly to the pool and maintain a reasonable flow rate as well as some water passing through the "solar bubble".
Quite frankly these "pods" are a waste of money, you could get the same effect with a garden hose laid on the lawn !
What would Plato do ?
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

I have to say that I feel you are right about the pod. I frequently empty the full hot garden hose into the pool, and wouldn't mind a system set up more permanently.
I suppose I will take back the pod and get my money back and look at getting a solar panel? Is this a good idea bornintheuk? I know nothing about the things and would really like the pool to be a few degrees warmer to extend the season. Today it is 30 degrees just on its own with the bubble wrap cover left on until the heat is needed.
What would it cost for someone who knows about the things to come and set it up?

Thank you so much for your time in responding.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

When there is an oily film on our pool through sun lotion we put a drop of fairy liquid in to disperse it. Works for us.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
teapot

Post by teapot »

Mouse wrote:When there is an oily film on our pool through sun lotion we put a drop of fairy liquid in to disperse it. Works for us.

Mousie
x
That's bad, detergent breaks the surface tension and scatters the oil to the sides. it also breaks the water bonds so making water wetter and that will also cause particles/bacteria etc trapped in the filter to be flushed out into the pool and the filter won't then be able to capture them again until the chlorine has broken the detergent down which of course uses up the chlorine requiring more. surfactants are bad in swimming pools.

The water lilly can help with the sun cream etc, not perfect but helps.

Mind you if you are using ordinary sand most of the fine dirt etc is just passing through anyway straining only the larger particles out. That's just using electricity for hardly any benefit.

[/img]
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Oh well :oops: it's a quick fix for us when we need it.

Teapot...I have to say I am in awe of your knowledge. If anyone thought pool maintenance was a simple process they only need to read your posts. I can't pretend to understand half the stuff :oops: but do know we made the right decision to always use a professional and not to go it alone!
Your level of experience shines through.

Mousie
x
teapot

Post by teapot »

Thanks Mousie, I do get fed up with the rubbish spoken about pools on forums Ai etc and try to through some light on the topic from a true perspective of what actually occurs in pools which seems to be a mystery even to some pool engineers.

Always best to ask guest to shower before entering the pool and if they must to use the non cream/oil sun protection. not just to remove sweat and dirt but also the chemicals they use on their hair and skin. People use flocculents/clarifiers to aid filtration but just 5ml of washing up liquid, soap or shampoo can completely undo the filtration process
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Always best to ask guest to shower before entering the pool and if they must to use the non cream/oil sun protection. not just to remove sweat and dirt but also the chemicals they use on their hair and skin.
I wish!

We suffered from a slightly cloudy pool this week so told Miguel, our pool guy. He checked the main filter and it was so full of human hair we were amazed! Would never have thought that possible.

It's all a learning curve.

Mousie
x