So where do we go to now...?!

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
nealh

So where do we go to now...?!

Post by nealh »

After a bumper year last year I was at least looking forward to a 'good' year this year. OD seem to have put paid to that with all their shenanigans as enquiries from that previously reliable source have all but evaporated.

So now I am left thinking of where to go next... we have our own web site and google+ page, have collected a decent amount of reviews on TripAdvisor... fortunately we have at least a 50% return visitor rate each year (thank goodness) so that keeps the wolf from the door.

Are there any decent listing sites left that would be worth an investment? I have searched around but nothing strikes out at me. Here in Cyprus we don't seem to have the equivalent of, for example spain-holiday, that will target visitors to Cyprus.

Our OD renewal comes up in October and I really don't think it will be worth giving our hard earned money to them as they seem oblivious to comments highlighting the issues with the new 'improved' site.

Are there any other Cyprus owners that would like to share information/form an alliance/have the magic key (now that would be a turn up for the books!)/agree or disagree/ or whatever. Equally if anyone else has a golden nugget to share I would love to hear it even if I don't agree with it :D

Look forward to hearing some inspiration (or even commiseration)
GRL

Post by GRL »

I have been working really hard on Twitter building up a following of families who may well want the type of holiday we offer. Several have tweeted they are interested in coming so now I need to convert those into bookings. It's time consuming but an be more interesting than what's on the TV of an evening!!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Hi Nealh
We're in Cyprus - but Paphos District rather than Troodos.

In 2013 and early 2014 we were solely with OD and were fully booked for the season by end Feb 2014. However, after a succession of their (OD's) shenanigans, we fell out with them and were unceremoniously dumped (with a refund) by OD! :shock:

Since then, we have concentrated on other listing sites (even picked up a couple of expensive for the guest commission-site bookings) and our own web page.

This year has been slow, but we are now only 2 weeks off full, having just picked up a 2 weeker for August. We note that many similar properties in the same out of Paphos town away from the coastal touristy areas have fewer bookings than us, so it's simply a hard year, not helped by ABTA/Moneycorp posting erroneously in Gatwick Airport that banks in Greece and Cyprus are closed - nothing wrong with the banks in Cyprus. We are not Greece. twisted:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
tavi

Post by tavi »

I'm also on OD and slightly concerned for the future but at the moment haven't YET noticed any impact from the new site. Since it only happened May 19th, most of this year's bookings had already been made. And I've had a few bookings since then.

Have you checked out your OD listing from the public side? Is it accurate/showing correct info/located in the right place? Can you change/refresh it? What are the photos like? Could you improve your lead photo to make it stand out from similar properties?

Seems strange that this year is so different for you - I'm wondering if there's other factors involved?

Like Rosie, I now have a Twitter page as well as a FB one. Twitter drives me nuts and bores me (read: I don't understand it) but am slogging away at it.
donnylu

Post by donnylu »

Has there been any change with certain flights been cut to Greece? Sometimes people jump on the listing sites blaming them for not bringing in the bookings. But if people are not going to these destinations for whatever reasons there is nothing much sometimes you can do and be just be happy with what you have. Sorry I know my post is probably helping too much but so often people are looking for this elusive website that will bring in the bookings but sometimes I just don't think it exists because you probably would have heard about it. Again google searching will show you your best options.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

donnylu wrote:Has there been any change with certain flights been cut to Greece? Sometimes people jump on the listing sites blaming them for not bringing in the bookings. But if people are not going to these destinations for whatever reasons there is nothing much sometimes you can do and be just be happy with what you have. Sorry I know my post is probably helping too much but so often people are looking for this elusive website that will bring in the bookings but sometimes I just don't think it exists because you probably would have heard about it. Again google searching will show you your best options.
Donnylu - Greece is a different country to Cyprus :roll: What you have effectively suggested is akin to saying that French visitors to UK have dropped off because flights to Germany have been reduced. :D
As far as I am aware, there are now more flights to different countries and different regional UK airports from both Paphos International and Larnaca airports than in previous years.

However, the fact that you mistook Cyprus for part of Greece could well indicate that with all the current problems and uncertainties regarding the "Greek problem", many people think along the same lines as you and believe that Cyprus is simply one more of the many Greek islands :shock: :roll: and are staying away because of that.

Whatever happened to geography lessons in school????? :lol:
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

donnylu wrote:Has there been any change with certain flights being cut to Greece? Sometimes people jump on the listing sites blaming them for not bringing in the bookings.
No reduction in flights to Greece, which I am aware of. Our local airport (Kefalonia) is busier than ever with charter flights this summer, so I have heard. If there is one thing Greece now particularly needs it is the incoming tourist euros. So the government should encourage that even to the extent of reducing airport landing fees for the planes, in certain cases.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

tavi wrote:I'm also on OD and slightly concerned for the future but at the moment haven't YET noticed any impact from the new site. Since it only happened May 19th, most of this year's bookings had already been made. And I've had a few bookings since then.
+1 for me too. I've already had a few bookings for next year and have had plenty of enquiries for dates already booked this season, I could have booked out twice over. I usually start getting most enquires for next year from the end of August so we'll have to wait and see. I also get plenty of repeat bookings and could easily fill those dates from new enquiries. I am also on FB and Twitter but no bookings from either yet, I still don't know how to engage with potential guests on Twitter but have gained plenty of likes on FB through promoting my page but struggle to think of a constant stream of posts.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
nealh

Post by nealh »

Thanks for everyone's views/opinions.

I do think you have a valid point PW in that Cyprus is perhaps linked in people's minds with the problems of Greece.

Good advice from you Tavi to have another look at the listing from a customers point of view. I now understand why I had this recent response from a visitor - We are interested in both properties, but having problems with the site. Please could you confirm availability and prices. I did find it difficult to find us with some search criteria but not others. Sometimes we were shown as a pin on the map but at other times we disappeared. I think I need to devote a bit more time to finding what is working or not. Then I can steel myself to deal with Cust Serv.

What concerns me most is that the number of page views are well down from previous years so if people are not looking they won't be buying.

Seems like my summer holiday isn't going to be spent lazing by the pool after all :D
donnylu

Post by donnylu »

Oh sorry I actually wrote Greece instead of Cyprus with 2 bottles of wine in me. Sorry for any offence caused. But it begs the question would the problems in Greece stop people travelling to the region in general. People's minds work in strange ways.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

donnylu wrote:But it begs the question would the problems in Greece stop people travelling to the region in general. People's minds work in strange ways.
I know what you mean, donnylu, but it doesn't seem to have happened this year in Greece so far as I can tell, in spite of all the international bad news about the country. I believe money talks louder than anything else, so while the GB Pound remains strong against the Euro all the holiday spots within the Eurozone should do well from travellers from the UK, while other considerations (except violence and terrorism) are put on the back burner.

It is referendum day today in Greece. It is all very calm, and law and order prevails without doubt.

PS. donnylu, keep off the wine - says he reaching for a glass!
donnylu

Post by donnylu »

:lol:
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

donnylu wrote:Oh sorry I actually wrote Greece instead of Cyprus with 2 bottles of wine in me.
Hope you've not got a sore head this morning then, donnylu! :lol:
Next time you're opening bottles of wine, don't forget li'l ol' wine drinking me! :lol:
donnylu

Post by donnylu »

I sure won't PW. Chink Chink! Head was iffy all day but OH kindly let me have a lie in!