Tourist tax in Catalunya

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
costa-brava

Tourist tax in Catalunya

Post by costa-brava »

Tourist Tax declarations with the form 950 for 2015
We have just received a letter for each apartment outlining a new method of paying the tourist tax we are obliged to collect. This applies only to Catalunya at the moment.
It appears to be a significant improvement on the old system where we had to download and print (in duplicate) a model 950 for each property then trot along to the bank and watch the frustrated queue build up while the cashier had to ask three of his/her colleagues what to do.
Now each property has a unique identification code and we have to login to the Agencia Tributaria, upload the facts and figures and then pay by credit card.
There is just one potential problem especially for non-resident owners. These letters went out this week addressed to the owners AT THE ADDRESS OF THE PROPERTY. So if you use an accountant or gestor, they will not have access to the property code until you or a representative go and find the letter.
The letters went out this week and the system starts TOMORROW!!!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

That's great planning. Start a tourist tax system in the middle of the tourist season for maximum impact. But then again it's Spain, which is not far behind Greece on skills on how not to run a country.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

It's not a new tax system. It's a new SIMPLIFIED way of making payments of a tax that's been in place for a couple of years. It was designed for hotels and had to be adapted when the holiday homes were brought into the system 2 years ago.
Now we can go online and make the payment with a few clicks.
And it's a great time to introduce it. The tourist season is just kicking in and most owners will be just about to make their first payment of the year.
Why have another kick at Spain?
I posted this topic to be helpful to any owners who will not have received the letter, simply because they are maybe back home in the UK.
I went round all my apartments this morning and picked up the mail so I now have the pay-in code for all except one.
As far as I know the tourist tax only applies in specific regions and is not general throughout Spain. We pay it to the Agencia Tributaria de Catalunya which is distinct from the one where standard tax declarations are made.
I have no idea about the situation in Greece except what we see on TV but I cannot see why an improved payment system gives any reason to have a kick at Spain.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Sorry I misunderstood and thought this was the start of a new tax, after most people would have already collected money from clients arriving soon.

I used to be able to pay my IBI online. Great, there's progress I thought. Then they stopped it. Then they stopped sending the bills. Then they fined me for not paying in time. That's why I have little confidence in the workings of Spain.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Here's an update that might be helpful to non-resident owners. Firstly the new method of payment online is not obligatory. It is just an easier option for thousands of owners. If you have a representative doing your accounts they can still pay at most banks with a paper version of Model 950.
However every declaration must have the new number. There is the A number which is your old HUT number and now also the B number which is two digits.
I have discovered that the complete list is available (all thousands of them) on an excel that you can download from http://empresaiocupacio.gencat.cat/ca/t ... turistics/
You have to plough through it and the list for your area HUTG, HUTB, HUTT etc. Then look for your town. Then look for your street in alphabetical order. They are not in numerical order.
It's easier if you can access the letter they sent out but at least there is an alternative.
Next due date for paying is 20 July