Do you have a games room?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
annedab

Do you have a games room?

Post by annedab »

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who has one. I am interested to know where (if anywhere) people draw the line at picking up after messy kids. If we just have one family here then I pretty much leave everything as it is clearly "their" mess, but with two or more families I have a dilemma - I always tidy while I clean each morning, but I feel I may be reaching the limit of how many times I can re-sort several packs of cards all mixed in a pile on the floor, pick up all the poker chips from under the ping pong table and put all the board game bits into the right boxes. Any thoughts oh wise(r) ones 8)
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Why don't you put some signs up asking guests to kindly put the pieces away after use and leave the games room tidy and ready for the next guests to use and also add this to details supplied to guests. Do you have a separate labeled box for each game's pieces? If this hauls then maybe devise a system where the guests have to sign for something if they use it making the responsible for returning it to its box/you? Maybe your guests have seen you tidy everything and now expect it's all part of the service.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
annedab

Post by annedab »

I tidy in secret Sam :D Mostly the problem happens because the grown ups ignore us telling them that they must supervise their little ones in the games room and they never even see the carnage left behind. Actually we have three families here this week - all with young children and there is not so much as a ping pong ball out of place! Long may that continue 8)
Regards

Anne

Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Some good ideas from sam there! I think this is one of those things you have to decide on. If it really annoys you then do something about it as sam suggests, or if only a mild irritant then just accept that it's one of those things.

We have recently introduced a toy box and I don't want to be picking up bits of toys on changeover day. So I decided I would speak to guests the day before departure asking them, as parents, to consider the children arriving (as theirs were last week) and ensure all toys are washed clean and put back in the toy box. Any broken ones just put in the bin.
So far so good.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
annedab

Post by annedab »

You're right Mouse - it is just one of those things and mostly doesn't bother me at all - I was just hoping that someone would post a link to some sort of Mary Poppins magic wand gadget that I could just waft around and make everything jump back into place......well a girl can dream can't she? :lol:
Regards

Anne

greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

My project for this afternoon could well be the answer to your problems!

In essence, as the door to the games room is opened concealed cameras take a series of shots and some clever stitching software produces a 360 degree montage showing precisely how the room looks.
Simple enough so far.
Now here's the clever bit. The door has an electronic lock and a button marked "Exit". When the button is pressed the cameras and software produce another montage; if this is identical to the first montage, the door opens. If not, a pre-recorded scary voice booms out "PUT EVERYTHING BACK EXACTLY HOW YOU FOUND IT AND TRY AGAIN!!!"
The process repeats until the children in question have tidied the room, or die of starvation.

Just got to find out how Kickstarter works and I'll be back.
annedab

Post by annedab »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

GB - I knew you wouldn't let me down!!

Can you please include the technology to sync it with the speaker on our balcony which randomly booms out "stop it" and "don't touch that" between 7am and midnight :wink:
Regards

Anne

Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

:lol: Greenbarn, you're onto something there... could you send me one for my boys' bedroom ASAP, please?
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

We have the same problem, if it keeps happening i leave it for a few days and someone tidy's it, probably not the family who made the mess.
We also have a toilet in the games room because it double as a function room, last week i screwed the door shut because i was fed up with mopping the pi** from the floor and brushing the crap off the sides, its bad enough doing this on change over days!
annedab

Post by annedab »

I feel your pain Bassman - we have an external shower and WC block which is used by the guests in the Safari tent, but also I see the people from the gites availing themselves when the extra 12 steps back to their accommodation is too far. It's my least favourite cleaning job - I would love to only have to do it on changeover days :(
Regards

Anne