Installing a pool - but not for gite guests

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

lasourcetranquille wrote:OK, so I'm getting a clear message I think! You've all taken the wife's side!

So, the next question would be; if we had a pool that we shared with gite guests how would restricting the usage work? Would it restrict our usage too ie they have it from 2-5, we have the rest of the time? Or do you say we can use any time but they can share it from 2-5? What do you do at 5.01, ring a bell and chuck them out?
We use our pool even though its used by 4 gites, we just fit around them. Today for example 3 families used the pool for a couple of hours this morning then went out, the other family spent 2-4pm by the pool then left, i took the kids swimming for an hour. The other families have just arrived back (6pm) and are in the pool now. I may have a swim when i close the pool this evening.
Just be straight with them that you may use the pool when they not using it.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Mmm, I have a pool with 5 gites and I hardly ever use it. I used to when I first built it - very keen either before 9am or after 9pm, but realistically I can't use it when guests are here - even if they go out, I can pop in only to have someone else come straight back and want to dive in. What is sure for me, is that I couldn't swim with the guests. It might be different if I were taking the children in, but these days they are too grown up to want to go swimming with Mum.

I think that your best work around is to ask each set of guests when they think they might use the pool - some go early in the morning, but most go after they have been out for the day - between 5pm and 8pm, then fit around them.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

lasourcetranquille you will find it much easier if you are sharing with just 1 other family.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Have PM'd you...
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

I would likely find the restricted timings very irritating. If the pool is more than just a splash pool - if I could actually swim worthwhile lengths in it - I'd want to be in early morning (7-ish) and probably mid-evening. I'd be less interested during the middle of the day, not least because I'm fair skinned, burn easily, and having to slather on loads of sunscreen isn't appealing either.

I would find it plain odd if there was a visible swimming pool onsite which guests were forbidden to use - and if the pool were visible then forbidden is how it would appear to me... worse, that my holiday payments were going towards the owners' 'in my face' enjoyment. The level of miffedness is often about perception and I think a visible 'owners' only' pool is going to look ungenerous even if guests weren't expecting a pool.

If there are going to be restrictions, I think CarolineH has it about right.
teapot

Post by teapot »

NeatandPicky wrote: We have the opposite problem - having had a pool for 10 years. The maintenance and hassle mean we would get rid if we could, but it's one of our big selling points.
Problems of the maintenance varieties are often down the the way the pool is engineered or lack of it. If it's 10 years ago there wasn't much happening in the pool industry just the same old copy of the pool the builder did before. Some of them are still the same but there are some who have made inroads into the subject, come up with vastly improved designs and better water circulation where maintenance issues are minutes not hours.

Even some of the new liners are made with various coatings said to remove the issue of sun cremes but in all honesty a bit of a polish up is surely going to be need but much less.

Running cost can be reduced by around 90% so lifting the barrier for pool ownership to a wider audience.

And 1 more for maybe not miffed but certainly you'll get bored of why can't we use the pool? The regulations are not that onerous and as most of the big French pool companies flout them anyway it wouldn't take much to comply even with the silly ones if anyone actually checks.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world