Geneva

For topics that are specific to a country not covered above, please go here.
pambon

Geneva

Post by pambon »

Does anyone have a small rental near or in Geneva for one week sometime this winter probably Jan or Feb 2016?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Would Chamonix be too far away?
pambon

Post by pambon »

Not sure Helen! How are bus and trains for Geneva. I am hoping to visit my sister-in-law there and my son would perhaps like to inspect some climbs (weather permitting - he's a free climbing instructor). They are just ideas going around in my head for now.
My s in law, will be an active 95 in mid Feb!!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've got a friend with apartments there. SHould be plenty of transport in the ski season, and plenty of climbing to check out, although it will be pretty snowy then.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Thanks; will keep this in mind and see how things pan out.....
Martha

Post by Martha »

Something to note - Half Term can be very crazy in the entire area - Chamonix and other ski resorts especially, but the effect is noticeable everywhere. January is much nicer and quieter (and way cheaper!) than early to mid Feb.

Plenty of transport to Geneva airport which is about 10 minutes by train from Geneva. Even if you are not staying there, I would highly recommend a day at the Midi etc.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
pambon

Post by pambon »

Thanks Martha then I will consider January rather than February!
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Agree with Martha - plenty of transport though I wouldn't recommend the train from Geneva to Chamonix (or anywhere close by as it takes ages and isn't cheap. Plenty of transfer companies operate directly to and from the airport (just type in chamonix to Geneva transfer into Google for a list), or you could hire a car very easily from the airport
pambon

Post by pambon »

Thanks, much to ponder over and discuss with offspring!
He may prefer to take the car ferry from Palermo to Genoa and drive up from there; we may fly up to Geneva and rent at airport or opt for public transport.

As I say it is early days yet and I am just collecting info on the various possibilities. Being almost more Italian than English after a life-time here it may be a late decision......then I'll be b******ed cos it will be too late to find anywhere :wink:
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I'm 50 mins from Geneva
pambon

Post by pambon »

kevsboredagain wrote:I'm 50 mins from Geneva
Sounds good too! Thanks Kev.