Junk mail via HL?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Kev - I think it's to do with the way the HL bookings manager works. When the original enquiry came through from the HL online form I got the enquiry by email from an address that HL had generated for them (fred@1234.bm.holidaylettings.co.uk or some such). Pressed 'reply' and they got my reply after it had been routed through HL who also changed my email address to an automatically generated HL one. Looks like the spammer picked up on that HL generated email address.

HL sent the spam onto me after removing the dodgy url (I think) and replacing it with "[contact details hidden]" because we're now on commission so no urls or email addresses are allowed through.

It's annoying, just like the ones that come directly, and maybe slightly more so because of the slight doubt that it might be a genuine attempt to get in touch. But is it a serious problem?
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Nemo wrote:Kev - slight TC but I guess it's pertinent to us all. I have had a spate of these emails from past guests of late. A friend had the same issue of dodgy links being sent from her email address but it's only linked to her phone and she doesn't have a computer. So does her email have to have been hacked; should she change password or is that not even enough to stop it happening?
2 possibilities I guess:
- the email has been hacked into and being used to send spam. Most ISPs would block use of their servers after a large amount of email was sent and changing the password together with any password recovery security would be enough to stop it.
- The persons email address is being used as a fake from address. This has happened to me in the past and is why I don't like some of the clearly fake from addresses which are often posted in the spam section of LMH. This one has happened to me in the past.

I still can't figure out i this thread if the email pretending to come from the HL system or just the enquirer.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

It shows up in my HL dashboard inbox so it's definitely come through their system.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Fifi

Post by Fifi »

I had one too from guests who stayed last September apparently sent from an iphone - url homedecorsale .co.uk and aquascot @sky.com I ignored and my response rate has stayed the same.
People who arrive after 10pm, shouldn't expect a hug.....