Guest cancelled because of cancer.

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Jemima Copping

Guest cancelled because of cancer.

Post by Jemima Copping »

A guest due to arrive on 3rd October has cancelled because she has just been diagnosed with cancer. She mentions that she thinks her insurance will refund her.
I feel bad for the poor woman, and wonder if I should offer a refund even if I don't manage to re-let. I'm sure I've seen a post about the same sort of dilemma but don't have time at the moment to hunt it down!
Anyone got suggestion?
Better to be mutton dressed as lamb than mutton dressed as mutton!
teapot

Post by teapot »

I would contact the guest and after the obvious empathy ask what is the likely treatment as it may or may not begin at the time of the holiday and they may still choose to take a week as they have a battle in front of them and it might be a welcome break.

Remember this news of cancer is nearly the most devastating anyone can hear and it completely messes up your world and confusion, anger etc are just some of the emotions they will feel.

If she has insurance that will cover it that's some good news for her, your decision is down to you but I would offer them a week when the treatment is over if that's possible.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

Thank you Teapot. I will do as you suggest.
Better to be mutton dressed as lamb than mutton dressed as mutton!
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

I had the same thing - the week before they were due to arrive the lady who had booked phoned to cancel because she had been diagnosed with breast cancer and they had scheduled a mastectomy in the middle of the week she would be on holiday here. I don't think that you can say anything that will help, and also (excuse me, Teapot) I don't think that it is your place to ask any questions.

Just offer whatever she needs to make an insurance claim and don't try to discuss it further than they want : if you are in a position and feel that you need to refund - then that's entirely your call : I didn't, I couldn't afford to refund a peak week.

I supplied all the confirmation to the insurance company, but actually they only paid 1/6th of the cost because 6 people were booked on the holiday and only one was ill. That's insurance for you. :cry:
teapot

Post by teapot »

CarolineH wrote:also (excuse me, Teapot) I don't think that it is your place to ask any questions.
Sorry I don't know what my place is, just talking to someone as a caring human being is wrong? Making a suggestion subject to tactfully finding out when treatment is likely to start and offering, just offering the week they may loose, so may want to re consider if it fits around hospital appointments.

What I wouldn't want to hear was a "customer service" type response which after the shock of that news is cold, uncaring and too business like to my ears.

We are all different, it was only a suggestion.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
pambon

Post by pambon »

Rather than 'asking' about hospital schedules of treatment it may be better to 'suggest' that she could, perhaps, keep the stay on track to use as a break at a later stage when or if she feels like it.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

pambon wrote:Rather than 'asking' about hospital schedules of treatment it may be better to 'suggest' that she could, perhaps, keep the stay on track to use as a break at a later stage when or if she feels like it.
I agree. Some people wouldn't want to talk about their health and their treatment with a total stranger and would regard any questions as intrusive. You aren't their friend.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

teapot wrote:
CarolineH wrote:also (excuse me, Teapot) I don't think that it is your place to ask any questions.
Sorry I don't know what my place is, just talking to someone as a caring human being is wrong?
I'm sorry - I really didn't mean it like that ... I just thought that questions can be awful in these situations (the person in question probably has tons of questions that are unanswered themselves) - of course, be caring - that's what we do best as holiday home owners, isn't it?

I have a guy here who has been coming on holiday here for 9 years to play golf with his friends - he didn't come last year - and he's stayed at home today whilst his friends are playing. He's just told me that he has Hodgkinson Lymphome, which is why he didn't come last year, but he doesn't like talking about it to anyone, because it gets him down.

Didn't mean to cause any offence, Teapot :)
teapot

Post by teapot »

No worries, I just thought you'd come over all Downton Abbey on me :wink:
Yes different stokes and all that and blokes, some, may not want to talk but even you have found out why a regular has come. This is a women to and we know you can't stop talking :lol: you see things differently.

I assume this news is recent and it's a very lonely place cancer at least until you get the hang of it, treating someone like a human rather than a leper goes a long way to helping them. It's all about getting on with life and not sitting down and getting beaten, getting over the news is tough enough. It's easy to pick up when someone doesn't want to talk even I can read that one down a phone line but it may just help and comfort the person to know you care enough to ask.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hello Jemima,
For some reason, I have had 3 such situations with guests in the last year or so. One guest cancelled last year shortly before her holiday as she needed surgery - balance had been paid. It sounded genuine to me and I fully agree with Teapot about the devastating news this is and the desire to offer sympathetic humanitarian support in these circumstances. I offered to postpone their holiday and carry the payment forward when I could not re let the week and this offer appeared to be welcomed but they have never been back in touch despite the fact that I chased them up by email at the end of last year.
Another booking for March this year postponed to November after a cancer diagnosis. I just changed the booking after a discussion on the phone with them.
The third situation arose from some regular guests who thought they may need to cancel peak booking for 2 weeks. I told them I would hold their booking until they knew for sure what was happening (with fingers crossed that I should be able to get something of a re let at short notice). As it turned out they were able to have their holiday with treatment delivered around their stay and the really, really appreciated their holiday.

There was an earlier thread in the members only section, and there was a strong argument made for guests needing to have insurance and owners not losing money. I will pm you with more details.
Orsonthecat

Post by Orsonthecat »

CarolineH wrote:,
I supplied all the confirmation to the insurance company, but actually they only paid 1/6th of the cost because 6 people were booked on the holiday and only one was ill. That's insurance for you. :cry:
That is utterly disgusting. Would the insurers really expect the person's husband/wife/partner and family to go off on holiday without them and leave the ill person get on with their cancer alone?! Jeez...
So much to learn....so little time!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Orsonthecat wrote:
CarolineH wrote:I supplied all the confirmation to the insurance company, but actually they only paid 1/6th of the cost because 6 people were booked on the holiday and only one was ill. That's insurance for you. :cry:
That is utterly disgusting.
Yes, Orsonthecat, you are right, but its also their first TRY. If challenged there is a good chance that they back down.

Insurance company loss adjusters have taken over from Estate Agents at the bottom of the cesspit. Treat them appropriately.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Orsonthecat wrote:
CarolineH wrote:,
That is utterly disgusting. Would the insurers really expect the person's husband/wife/partner and family to go off on holiday without them and leave the ill person get on with their cancer alone?! Jeez...
I wonder if it was a really budget policy? We once had to claim off holiday insurance when we could not go on holiday when our daughter badly broke her arm and needed an operation. Naturally, none of us could go, so the insurers paid out the full cost for the whole family. Lots of companies seem to be offering 'bronze', 'silver' and 'gold' etc with varying benefits. Oooh haven't I seen that somewhere else recently. OD perhaps!? :lol: