Is the strong pound affecting bookings negatively?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
rosebud

Is the strong pound affecting bookings negatively?

Post by rosebud »

A friend has suggested that the strength of the pound could be affecting bookings in the UK ..

As no bookings have come my way recently I am beginning to wonder if this is true??

Although I have had the irritating "Can we have a reduction for a long booking?" (2 weeks over Christmas & New Year)
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

I think 'abroad' is getting a bad press that is counteracting the impact of strong Sterling.

Where, once, reaching Calais was the start of the Holiday, it is now associated with the effects of war, refugees, desperate people, people traffickers and, also, with some taking the opportunity to be 'paid to do nothing'.

This was the exact phrase used by the Third World Nationals I used to manage in the Middle East. They said it with an anger I, only then, began to appreciate; there is a huge amount of economic injustice in this World. This sort of revelation is something people do not associate or wish to associate with carefree holidays.

Greek and Turkish tourism must be suffering catastrophically. Most of the Balkan countries could well be suffering similarly.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
Eagerbeaver

Post by Eagerbeaver »

We are seeing bookings in North Wales as strong as ever so not sure if the strong pound is causing any problems.

I think that with any holiday let, even if you get everything right, it is the look of the draw.

You do of course need to be sure everything is right.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

charles cawley wrote: ... Greek and Turkish tourism must be suffering catastrophically.
I can't speak for Turkey, but I don't believe Greek tourism has been hit too badly, if at all, by news of its earlier financial woes and the associated street demonstrations. Our island (Kefalonia) has had a good, if not bumper, 2015 season and it has not finished yet. We have had no cancellations this year. However, I have heard that the massive refugee/illegal migrant problem which has affected one or two Greek islands has had a devastating effect on tourism there.

Back on the thread, Sterling is not so strong against the Euro as it used to be. The Euro has been showing good recovery against the GB Pound in recent days. So it look like "the party is over" for the time being.
revdev

Post by revdev »

Speaking for Turkey, I can say that foreign enquiries have pretty much dried up for the time being, but the local market remains quite strong.

ISIS, refugees, Mr Erdogan (president), Syrian border, elections, PKK...Turkey remains in the media on a daily basis and experience tells me this always has a knock-on effect.
See the job, do the job!
http://www.premiumturkishvillas.co.uk