How much is a boiler??

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
MissP

How much is a boiler??

Post by MissP »

So, as per my previous posts, we completed on a house purchase a few weeks ago. I arranged for a cleaning company to go and give the place a deep clean yesterday - and they reported that the hot water boiler isn't working. (One of the standard cylindrical ones that's sited outside the kitchen)

I've got someone going round tomorrow to inspect it - but, worst case, I guess we're looking at an expense to buy and fit a new one.

Can any of you suggest any ball park figures as to how much this could cost?? We knew there would be some unexpected stuff that was bound to crop up, and have contingency funds! But it would be good to know what we might have to put aside for this.

Thanks!
P
CSE

Post by CSE »

a round water boiler. Never seen one in Spain, unless you mean a hot water tank.

Prices will depend on manufacture, if changes to the installation needs to be done, Power output est etc. Only you can determine all of this.

If it is electrical then maybe some prices give on Leroy Merlin will help.
http://www.leroymerlin.es/productos/fon ... ricos.html
They also list other types of hot water supply systems too.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
MissP

Post by MissP »

Hi - yes I think I mean a hot water tank! Sorry for confusion - 'boiler' was the word the cleaner used when she emailed me! But I think you're right and it is indeed a tank.

Thanks for the link, I realise there are many variables but just a vague idea is useful - I'll check it out when I'm on my home PC later, rather than this tiny phone screen :-)

P
joddle

Post by joddle »

I think yo are referring to the hot water heater which also serves as the hot water tank - there are electric normally and hang on the wall.

The size you need will depend on how many people need to use hot water. In Spain for two people you need a 50 or 80 litre system and for more people bigger ones. they range from 30 litres to several hundred litres. A 50L ones cost from about 150e, a 100L from about 220e and 200L from about 360euros.

Fixing is normally pretty easy and should take a competent plumber less than an hour so long as there is nothing else to do.

The modern ones have an eco setting which means they heat up slower but conserve energy. You can boost them if needed. Leroy Merlin have loads on offer as do most of the big electro domestic stores.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

They don't cost that much, 200-300. Apparently in our area the water is so bad that water heaters have an expected life of only 2 years!
costa-brava

hot water

Post by costa-brava »

Sorry, I've been away so this may be too late. The standard water heater/boiler is called a "termo" and the price depends mostly on where you buy it. If you go to AKI or LEROY MERLIN or BRICO DEPOT (if you are lucky enough to have one of these) you will find they sell the standard sizes for between €100 and €250 depending on size. Maybe a little less that KEV has said but his prices are about spot on if you go to a plumbing supplier. However I imagine you are not too happy about fitting it so it will cost you another 50-150 euros for a plumber. They have to shut of the cold supply and drain off the old one which takes time.
But HOLD ON A MINUTE!!! If it's not working it may be just the thermostat safety trip. Under the heater there is a small inspection cover of plastic held by 3 or 4 screws. There you will see the bottom of the thermostat with 3 cables attached plus the pilot light. Make sure you have unplugged or disconnected the power supply first. The thermostat it usually held up by just one screw and it looks like a thin metal rod of about 30 inches with a small square box at the bottom. In the middle of the box is a pink or red inset that you can press with the point of a biro pen. Voala! It's reset and has cost you nada de nada.
It may kick off again and you may have to buy a new thermostat. If the heater is left on for a long time without using hot water it clicks on and off indefinitely and burns out.
Also one of the big problems is "CAL", the calcium scale that builds up around the thermostat and chokes it out. If someone is handy with these things and reasonably strong you can remove the innards of the heater and clean it out very easily. I would only recommend this if it's expensive to replace.
Lastly if you do change it you should fit the size that is recommended for the number of baths/showers in the house and for the number of people. A small one heats up fast but runs out quickly. A big one takes forever to heat up but will rarely run right out of hot water.
If you are on one of the new smart meters, DON'T PUT IN ONE THAT IS BIGGER because you may go over your contracted usage.
If you want to be really cosy in winter and you are an eco-freak you may be interested in a "caldera de pellets", a lot more expensive to install but will give you central heating as well. It uses woodchips or pellets from biomass. Very eco-friendly!
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Here is the google link with lots of photos of a thermostat and a couple of youtubes to see how to pull your heater apart.
https://www.google.es/webhp?sourceid=ch ... de%20termo
MissP

Post by MissP »

Wow, thank you!! We fly out tomorrow so this is perfect timing :-) Really appreciate you taking the time to write all that!!
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

Someone selling 80 litre water heater for only 30€ via link below yesterday (Facebook group - La Marina & Quesada Buying Selling).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5087640 ... 142652268/

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
MissP

Post by MissP »

Thanks gordo! All sorted now though :-) we have a lovely shiny new boiler and it was installed by a local chap who didn't seem too pricey. The old one was definitely beyond repair!!

Thanks for your help everyone!