Multi Week Bookings - Cleaning, Bedding & Towels etc

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Thank you JaneV,

Your right it could all get dirty and or crumpled up etc left lying around whether it's used or not.

Received a second 14 night booking for 4 people this time so the 2nd bedroom isn't a free space for leaving out bedding either this time. The first 2 week booking was only for 2 people.
"For stays in excess of 7 nights, a bed linen and towel change is available at no extra charge. If you would like to take advantage of this, please let me know, either before or during your stay, so that we can arrange a mutually convenient time with the cleaning company."
Much prefer something like this as it gives control to the process, don't want a phone call the evening before or worse on the morning of the 7th day.

"For bookings of 14 nights or more, a bed linen and towel exchange at the door is available at no extra charge. If you would like to take advantage of this, please let me know no later than 10am on your 5th day (normally a Thursday) so that an exchange can be arranged on your 7th day (normally a Saturday) at 10am. Cleaning at 10am on your 7th day can be arranged at additional cost on request at least 48hrs in advance."

By doing this you haven't got spare bedding & towels lying around getting spoilt. They get a change if required and I get to take away bedding & towels to wash. They are not left with dirty bedding & towels lying around during there second week either getting in the way. By controlling the exchange day and time I'm not left wondering, waiting to see if I'm wanted or not and I potentially get to know that I have a full weekend off 48hrs in advance to plan a weekend for myself :)

By doing an exchange at the door privacy is maintained and any liability for losses and damages of their own belongings cannot become an issue at all whatsoever. By offering a clean at extra cost will deter most people from wanting a clean done in the first place.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

akwe-xavante wrote: By offering a clean at extra cost will deter most people from wanting a clean done in the first place.
But this may not be desirable. If you charge for it, then those who are not into cleaning on their holiday may say they don't want it. Trying to get cookers etc clean after 2 weeks of built up grime is going to be much more difficult and if you have a same-day changeover, you'll be really pushed to get the cleaning done in time.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Multi week bookings are obviously a dilemma for all those concerned including the guests too.

There are problems and pitfalls whatever you do, or not do for all those concerned.

By insisting that you clean half way through is to invite potential problems and especially if they don't want you to do it whether its needed or not. Initially you are forcing an intrusion into there privacy, so you've upset them before you start even if they would of been happy for you to have done a clean half way through anyway if they had been asked.

If something should go missing or get damaged and you are accused of such, where do you go with that guilty or not, don't forget you've already upset them and now something is damaged too.

Having thought about this I would rather work that bit harder cleaning the place at the end of the 2 week booking than stand accused of steeling or damaging a piece of jewellery, a watch or an iPadAir. This could potentially set you back many hundreds of pounds or more, it would be cheaper and a lot less stressful and troublesome to replace the cooker rather than clean it!

However if they invite you in to clean then this is different, they are happy about you being there in the first place. You can make it clear that they are responsible for there own belongings and that you will not be responsible for potential damages and losses. In other words make it clear that valuables should be put away safely by them in advance. You can talk to them about what they want you to clean or not and when.

Whatever you do there are potential pitfalls and problems so I think its up to the guests to decide but in a controlled manner whilst maintaining privacy and reducing liabilities for all concerned.
Jenny C

Post by Jenny C »

I provide a mid-stay clean, towel and linen change for all stays of more than 7 nights. I have certainly never had a guest refuse this. When the guest arrives, I let them know which day the cleaner will be coming, and ask if there is a convenient time (as it's easier if they are out when she comes!)

Nobody likes cleaning on holiday, and if you are in a larger place perhaps with children, then the place will get messy. I have always enjoyed the places we have stayed which have offered mid-stay cleans as it's less cleaning for me to do, and lovely to have fresh sheets after the first week.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

akwe-xavante wrote:

Having thought about this I would rather work that bit harder cleaning the place at the end of the 2 week booking than stand accused of steeling or damaging a piece of jewellery, a watch or an iPadAir. This could potentially set you back many hundreds of pounds or more, it would be cheaper and a lot less stressful and troublesome to replace the cooker rather than clean it!

If you give the guest the option, then it's their decision.
Given that you and your cleaners have the keys and therefore access to the property, you have ample opportunity to steal their jewellery/ iPads etc. so if they go missing, you'll get the blame anyway regardless of whether you do mid-stay cleaning. I think this is a red herring. If you think about it, a normal domestic cleaner will be cleaning houses with people's things in them every day and won't be writing terms and conditions about jewellery and iPads having to be put away before they start.

I expect most owners terms and conditions state that owners don't accept responsibility for damage/loss of guest's property anyway?
Astorchamonix

Post by Astorchamonix »

Just a personal opinion but if I wanted the place cleaning/new bedding etc then I would stay in a hotel. Provided there is a washer/dryer and cleaning materials I would think that most people staying in a non-luxury let would do this themselves. We don't offer this service, but would if a guest asked specifically (but it would cost us over 75 euro to us, I'm not sure you could justify charging this on to guests unless you did a cheaper rate for 2 weeks than one).
I think it's important to supply a good selection of cleaning products and washing powder free of charge, there's nothing worse than having to buy them all yourself when on holiday!
brightmike

Post by brightmike »

We have our first 2 week booking next year. We state on our website that we provide a mid-week service so have to offer it.

I think the key thing is offering the most choice to the customer as possible, taking into account what is practical for you.

I plan to provide a second set of towels, we have space for this.

To offer the option of a mid-week linen change, which would need to be a drop off since we don't have storage space. Either them to change or us to do, again their choice. We would require a dirty linen pickup otherwise we would run of of linen for the next lot of guests.

To offer the option of a clean: vacuum, kitchen, bathrooms. Whatever they prefer.

p.s. We call ourselves luxury :)
Our property website can be found by looking at our profile.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I do exactly the same Brightmike. Leave some spare towels on the shelf and a sealed pack of linen/towels in the top of the wardrobe.

I then give them the choice of doing it themselves and a pickup of used stuff, or a quick visit with a mini-clean and a linen change by us.

Many guests are happy to be left alone to look after themselves...which suits me fine. :D