PP scammer

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
costa-brava

PP scammer

Post by costa-brava »

Paypal scammer.
I've been singing the praises of PP in another thread this week.
But just got an email from: Services@paypal.com (hopefaithwilliams@icloud.com) telling me that I have to click on their link to get my account unblocked.
1. Hopefaith has her/his head in the iclouds.
2. PP don't put a login link in an email. They ask you to go to your account yourself.
3. My PP is Spanish and messages don't come in English.
It really looks like a PP message apart from the bogus email address.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I get several of those every day to my business email - I don't even have a Paypal account linked to that email, so at least I know they're scams straight off. Blocking "Paypal" or "Pay pal" as a subject is no longer effective as the scammers wised up to that months ago and use variations such as Paypai or an alpha instead of an "a". I also get them on my personal email which is linked to Paypal.
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's the most widespread scam now - it'll have a better return than spoofing banks as there's a much higher chance of delivering the email to someone with a Paypal account than a specific bank account.

Being slow roasted over hot coals is far too good for these scammers.
Essar

Post by Essar »

greenbarn wrote:Being slow roasted over hot coals is far too good for these scammers.
Good torture technique; how about adding a couple of ferrets hanging on to the nether regions to take their mind off the slow roasting until they done to a turn. Alternatively, for a lively show electric cables attached to all orifices will provide cries of delight (from the audience).

Not that I'm interested in this sort of thing you understand - Ann watches too much YouTube crime channels and it tends to focus on such things....it's her really..!
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

I'm plagued by PP scam emails on a near daily basis. Forward them to spoof@paypal.com
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

One today that I find very worrying as it's personally addressed to me.
Dear **** ****,
We have noticed that some data from your account information seems inaccurate or unverified. You have to check your information in order to continue using our service smoothly. Please check your account information by clicking the link below.
I had to go onto my computer to see the full email address (service.paypal.co.uk.customersupport.phone.message0343.123456789012345678901234567890@walaadesign.ca) which then makes it obvious it's not from Paypal, but how do they have my name? That always used to be a sure sign of a scam if it was simply addressed Hello or such like.
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Also get a couple of these variations almost every day. Greenbarn's above method of dealing with it sounds just right and I'll have one done rare please' oh and hold Essar's ferrets, I'm trying to give those up!
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Nemo wrote:
"but how do they have my name?"
You set me thinking Nemo and I sent myself a dummy email. My email is Hotmail and my kids set it up for me when they gave me my first PC for Christmas in the 1990s.
In my inbox my message shows as being from me WITH MY FULL NAME not my email address like all the other messages.
When I saw your question it rang a bell. Now I have to go into my hotmail/live account to see if I can change that.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Back again! I have taken a look in my hotmail account and can't see any way of changing it. So for every message I send the recipient sees my full name before they open it. Good for them but scammers can pick up my name. OK, it's not quite like giving out my password but it means they can easily address a "personal" message.
Thanks Nemo for your inadvertant heads up.