Locky

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
kevsboredagain

Locky

Post by kevsboredagain »

Just a heads up on what some of those attachments do that probably most of us receive.

The most dangerous ransomware software called "Locky" encrypts data worldwide and calls for money from the victims to decrypt the data. Locky encrypts over 150 file types on the affected computers and accessible network folders, including text, photos, videos, source code, certificates and cryptographic keys. Locky is currently distributed via email. There are mostly fictitious invoices, applications or shipping confirmations, which should arouse the curiosity of the recipient. Its attachment contains an Office document with macro code that triggers the infection.

greenbarn

Re: Locky

Post by greenbarn »

kevsboredagain wrote:Just a heads up on what some of those attachments do that probably most of us receive.
Thanks! It's useful to have that sort of detail on the threat these things pose.
I get plenty, and yes it's obvious because I don't deal with the "sending company". But I wonder how many people will have a look regardless, and how many people in the accounts dept of a small business might not expect to recognise every sender of an "invoice".
Scumbags.
Bunny

Re: Locky

Post by Bunny »

[quote="greenbarn]But I wonder how many people will have a look regardless, and how many people in the accounts dept of a small business might not expect to recognise every sender of an "invoice".
Scumbags.[/quote]

I expect that's where they get most of their results. I get loads of these too, but delete them instantly. Where I used to work the Chief Accountant received a 'You're due a tax refund' scam email. The accountant actually asked me to phone the tax office to find out how much we were owed and asked what had I been doing to have overpaid the company tax bill? Unbelievable! :roll: So I can quite believe that this type of email achieves its objective. So many naïve/curious people out there still. Keep up the warnings, thanks Kev.