check in time

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I would go against the general trend here and offer to take in their luggage whilst they find something to occupy themselves. I know its a real pain but my view is that these people are paying a lot of money for their holiday and anything we can do to make them feel wanted is worthwhile.
Having said that we have had people ask for an early entry and we bust a gut trying to get everything done in time and they don't turn up until hours later - "Oh we thought we'd explore a bit of the country-side before we got here".
Ho-hum the joys holiday letting.
Essar

Post by Essar »

greenbarn wrote:Had one last week. Returning guests from abroad (we don't get many from outside UK) had just booked a week and paid the deposit.
Then I get an email the next morning while I'm having my breakfast: "Our flight gets in to Manchester Tuesday am and we'll hire a car and head straight up; should be with you about noon, will that be okay?"
Oh FFS...... polite email back, it depends if we have guests leaving that day etc etc, dump your luggage and do an Essar etc etc.

Response "I thought as we're booked in from Monday then it wouldn't matter what time we arrive on the Tuesday....... "

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Backtrack, apologise for brain fade, yes you are booked in from Monday aren't you? Do arrive whenever you want to on the Tuesday....... (grovel).

And the lesson? Must be something to do with reading all the words, or not over breakfast, or it's time to get out, or........ sometimes guests just realise that if they want an early arrival they need to book the previous night as well, or that they won't get a reduced rate for 6 nights instead of 7 - but how are we all supposed to expect that?
Happens to me quite a bit lately - I read the words and they look like their written in English and I know what each word means on it's own, but when they're all joined up the meaning sort of changes and because the phones ringing and the it's thundering and lightening outside and the bloke on the news is going on about deflation it all sort of gets muggled. Anyway thank the god Expedia for iCAL so I don't get out of sync and double book me self. What was the question?
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Orsonthecat

Post by Orsonthecat »

Greenbarn if only all our guests were happy to book the night before to allow early access the next day.. Sigh
So much to learn....so little time!
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Haven't had anybody arrive early or ask for an earlier arrival time yet but I've only been trading for 10 months so still a lot to learn and experience.

I have an arrival time of 3pm but I'm happy 3 till 5 initially for me to do the meet and greet. After 5 they are asked to pick key up from neighbour.

Last November I had a very last minute booking and I decided to wait in until they arrived, they phoned and asked if 7pm would be OK? I said no problem but keep me informed if you're going to be later.

Didn't hear from them again, mobile switched off when I tried to phone them. They arrived at 11.45pm.

I was not happy at all and although I tried to be friendly and polite I think they knew I was very miffed off.

Question: How long would you wait before you locked up and went home?

Midnight, 1, 2, 3am!?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

akwe-xavante wrote:Question: How long would you wait before you locked up and went home?
I'm afraid my answer is that this is the wrong question.

We're in the hospitality business. Travel is precarious. Arrivals can be delayed for any number of reasons outside of everyone's control. I would suggest looking for other ways to welcome guests "out of expected hours". Whether it's a keysafe, phone number, late night bar or whatever, it's wise to find a solution before the inevitable.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

They have a phone number but I live an hours drive away, neighbour says it's not a problem up till 9pm IF available on the day of arrival and she's not going out. Keysafe not possible. There's a pub that closes at 23:00hrs.

Booking conditions say arrival at 3pm, ok its flexible and extended on agreement in advance and to be honest everybody has arrived thus far between 3 and 4 except 2 couples who asked for a latter arrival time, they arrived as agreed.

This specific couple deliberately lied and knew they were arriving a lot later than they said.

Letting Agent say in this situation wait till Midnight then go home as they have booked to arrive on a specific date, a date that has expired. OK I'm verrrrrrrrry flexible and understanding as well as being very well travelled myself. I know ~hi@ happens. If they were contactable and or kept in touch about a breakdown, accident, illness or something then i'll wait till whenever for anybody.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

akwe-xavante I would assist any guest in an emergency but I think you did well to wait until 11.45 in the absence of any contact from them. I agree that after midnight counts as a 'no show' if not pre arranged. Midnight would be my limit and I live on site, but I wouldn't wait up for ever if I'd not heard from them. I've had guests turn up really late, and not once has it been due to unforeseen circumstances or unavoidable delays. They've just arrived and happily announced that they decided to stop off wherever. Of course, if they turned up clearly harassed with an honest reason I would help but we are not hotels with 24 hour receptions.