Can it be a scam if they've booked and paid through HL?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
louiseddie

Can it be a scam if they've booked and paid through HL?

Post by louiseddie »

Hi all, I had an enquiry through HL a couple of days ago for a week in July, 1 adult and 2 children aged 9 and 13, written in bad English. Sent a quote and heard nothing more. Today they sent a booking request for that week, again in bad English, for 2 adults, and I accepted it. Her message said she and her two boys were looking forward to their stay.

Her name is a highly unusual and distinct one, and the number is a dialling code in India (the name isn't an Indian sounding one). I've googled her and there is only one person by her name in the entire world, living in New York. Her Facebook entries indeed show her with two boys though they look a younger than 9 and 13, I'd have them around 7 and 9. Her English on her Facebook entries is perfect and it says she's from New York so the bad English in the correspondence makes no sense, nor does the Indian telephone number. Obviously I'm not giving the name on here but trust me when I say there can only be one of her in the world.

I thought about dropping her a line through Facebook but not being her 'friend' I know they go into a remote folder she may not check. I've spoken with HL who say they can't think what scam it might be because she's paid and would stand to lose money if she cancels. They've suggested I call the number in India and tell them if I am still suspicious. I said if I speak to an Indian-sounding lady on that number who says she's this lady I will still be suspicious!

It's late at night in India now so I won't call it tonight, I'll do it in the morning and update you. Meantime can anyone think what kind of scam this could be, if indeed it is one?

I'm very confused and worried about this one so any thoughts would be appreciated!
Essar

Post by Essar »

To be a scam they are making quite a large investment for it to eventually come off.

I would make the call tomorrow anyway just for peace of mind.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
newtimber

Re: Can it be a scam if they've booked and paid through HL?

Post by newtimber »

louiseddie wrote:I've googled her and there is only one person by her name in the entire world, living in New York. d!
Not everyone will appear on a google search. There might easily be another person of the same name who lives in India.
EdinburghCityApartments

Post by EdinburghCityApartments »

Maybe she's had her credit card stolen/cloned and if you phone the Indian number it will be the person who has done the cloning etc.

I would send confirmation email and say "Please remember to bring photo ID/proof of address" or something similar.

Not sure what HL policy is if they've received payment from stolen card and get a chargeback, if they then try and get the money back from you...
kg1

Post by kg1 »

EdinburghCityApartments wrote:Maybe she's had her credit card stolen/cloned and if you phone the Indian number it will be the person who has done the cloning etc.

I would send confirmation email and say "Please remember to bring photo ID/proof of address" or something similar.

Not sure what HL policy is if they've received payment from stolen card and get a chargeback, if they then try and get the money back from you...
Good Point. Can you persuade HL to tell you which CC company it is & call them?
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

It's not likely to be a stolen or cloned card as it's too far in advance. The cardholder would have already noticed the transaction was fraudulent and claimed a chargeback before the guests arrive. And if the guests then arrive and you and HL know the card has been used fraudulently, the guests will either be arrested or at best have nowhere to stay.

Last minute bookings are much more likely to be card fraud - and if it's like HA, then the owner gets charged for the chargeback.
louiseddie

Post by louiseddie »

Thanks all, very good points. She's actually emailed again to ask if she can add another night to the booking. I'm going to take that as my excuse to call her - though not knowing whether she's in India or NY I'm waiting till later this afternoon when it's a respectable time in each place, so I don't upset her in case it is genuine! Will keep you posted...
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

louiseddie wrote: She's actually emailed again to ask if she can add another night to the booking.
My scam antennae just twitched (only slightly)....... It will be interesting to see how she proposes to pay for the extra night. In advance, with an additional amount to cover car hire/ice skating lessons/etc?
Sorry, I'm just naturally suspicious - worth keeping your guard up just in case.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

greenbarn wrote:
louiseddie wrote: She's actually emailed again to ask if she can add another night to the booking.
My scam antennae just twitched (only slightly)....... It will be interesting to see how she proposes to pay for the extra night. In advance, with an additional amount to cover car hire/ice skating lessons/etc?
Sorry, I'm just naturally suspicious - worth keeping your guard up just in case.
Good thinking, Sherlock!
louiseddie

Post by louiseddie »

Ok, so this is embarrassing... :oops: I've wondered whether or not to own up to my idiocy but you've all been so lovely I owe it to you!

It turns out that the number she gave is not from India but a US mobile number. In my defence she failed to put the 001 US country code in front of it so it came through to me as +91, which is of course 0091 which is the country code for India. But when I rang it it was unobtainable, and a google with 001 91 shows it to be a mobile number.

Gulp. Sorry. But raised some interesting debates, eh?! (He says hopefully!)

Thanks for all your help!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Doesn't seem like idiocy to me! It turns up apparently showing a country code of India, so it's a reasonable assumption; it would've made for a very interesting conversation if someone in India had answered it!

So is it all sweet-smelling now, or is there still a faint whiff of fish?
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Or is the whiff of curry? :?
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
louiseddie

Post by louiseddie »

I think I'm okay with it now. It was the India connection that bothered me given the lady has such an unusual name that it could only have been the lady I found in NY. She's decided she doesn't want the extra night which removes that particular scam possibility and her English seems to have gotten better - maybe she was in a rush with the first couple of emails!

Thanks again all :-)
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Phew! Glad you got it sorted.