Is it usual not to supply guest towels in France....?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Moliere wrote:
Just for interest sake, FC, why do you ban e-cigs - no flame and no smelly smoke, so what's your angle there?

Mols
It's about air quality, Mols. The vapour contains artificial chemicals as well as nicotine, and we don't use chemicals of any kind, anywhere.
Circé

Post by Circé »

Um, FC, I think you need to check up on the definition of chemical.
White vinegar (NaHCO3) and sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) are chemical substances.

They boast E numbers too, E260 and E500, which just goes to show that not all E numbers are Bad Things for greenies!

How do you balance advertising access to your property via air to local airports and your green statements? (This isn't a criticism, just me being interested).
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Yes, I know that, Circé. But they're completely acceptable in the bio world. Unlike other cleaning chemicals and artificial scents or flavourings.

There's no easy answer to the question of air access. Many years ago, when we had our restaurant (in the UK and very rural), we worked with a Carbon Neutral scheme based out of UEA in Norwich: diners could choose to offset the carbon cost involved in their travel to us by contributing to one of the carbon offset projects. Around 99% of our diners took part; we attracted a lot of publicity and became the blueprint for other businesses to set up similar schemes. We'd imagined doing the same here, but for various reasons I've fallen out of love with the science behind carbon offset so we haven't continued. These days we concentrate on doing what we can do in our immediate environment - we live in one of the most ecological aware departments in the country so are in the right place!

How did we get from towels to carbon offset? :lol:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Heavy users of carbon, those damn towels, especially the low-fat sugar-free ones! :lol:

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Circé

Post by Circé »

Less carbon used if you scrub the linens in the local village lavoir without heating the water and using old-fashioned soap, scrubbing brushes and mangles.

Ah, UEA: that concrete jungle, I saw it being built (ruining a lovely rural golf course which teemed with wildlife).
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Yes, the lovely ziggurats! I spent 2 years there as a mature student in the early 90s and ended up being rather fond of its - erm - design. At least the lake is now full of wildlife. And I don't just mean the students after a good gig :wink: