What do you look for in a property manager?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Welsh rose

What do you look for in a property manager?

Post by Welsh rose »

Hi all off-site rental owners. Can I ask what you all look for in a Property Manager? The main things being an efficient change over service and 24/7 call out if the guests experience any problems? Is there anything I'm missing that you think is essential?

Sorry if this is a bit of a vague question, any suggestions / experiences with property managers would be much appreciated. :D
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Common sense and some basic DIY knowledge goes a long way. If they have to call out a tradesman for every tiny problem then it can start costing you a lot of money.

I had one lot that needed a painter to touch up marks on the wall, a plumber to change a toilet seat and a gardener to pull some weeds out. For these jobs I was paying double as the property manager had to not only arrange the tradesman but to be there at the same time.

I remembering meeting one potential cleaner who said "I don't do windows" :roll:

Welcome to the forum BTW
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

We are "Property Managers" and have been so for 14 years. You have to be jack of all trades (just had call out to broken loo seat and cistern - all parts purchased by us and fitted by OH). Call out in season 24/7 is part of the job. We were snatching a couple of hours the other Summer, by the river with a picnic, when the mobile rang and guests had ended up with a parasol base in the bottom of the pool and torn the liner. Needless to say picnic ended in a rush. OH could not sort the tear in the liner but had to call a man who could. In this job you have to work bloody hard in season, be reliable (have had to change beds on my knees when my back went). Smile nicely when guests arrive at lunchtime complete with all their shopping, but firm enough to wave them bye bye whilst you continue clearing up the mess the last lot left. Oh and nearly forgot you have to be prepared for the unexcpeted .... poo in the shower ..... has happened to me on more than one occasion!!!!!!
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

Wish I could find someone as dedicated as you FrenchLady. :-(
declanja

Post by declanja »

I think a good attribute of a property manager is the ability to sort out problems without having to contact the owner on everything. Our lady is excellent at doing just this. Also I think a good manager can get the guests into the holiday spirit by having an upbeat jolly personality. Guests usually arrive tired and stressed and a positive welcome is important. Trust is number one, if you don't have trust on both sides the relationship like all others will not work! It is also important to treat your manager well, we always give her a bonus or a gift when we meet as we value her contribution. Declan
COYS

Post by COYS »

Two way trust is paramount, as is a clear set of requirements from yourself so that any prospective manager knows exactly what they're taking on. Over the past 15 years we have worked with both individuals & companies but in all honesty have never been completely satisfied either way so I think a degree of flexibility is also requisite.
Certainly in our part of the world, complacency seems to creep in & for me is never acceptable. Buying a broom does not make you a cleaner, owning a watering can doesn't make you a gardener & as others have said, basic DIY should be a given as well as access to proven tradespeople.
Some live by the 'no news is good news' mantra but personally I feel that regular contact is important.
Always be honest when you make personal visits - if you are happy with things say so, if not tell them why & discuss how any issues may be addressed moving forward.
Always pay up on time.
Welcome & good luck.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.