Non EU Spouse Question

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
EricaT

Non EU Spouse Question

Post by EricaT »

Hi,

We are moving to France in January and are naturally concerned about the rights of UK citizens to live and work in France after brexit, (not to mention a possible frexit).
My parents are Irish so I can apply for dual Irish nationality and passport so presumably I won't be affected by Brexit but where does this leave my husband?

My question basically is - As he is my spouse, is he granted the same rights as me if I am in effect an EU citizen?

I hope someone can help answer this question or point me in the direction of an official information source on the matter...

Thanks, folks.

Erica :-)
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

If you are an EU citizen then you have freedom to live and work in the EU without restriction, as you know. As the spouse of an EU citizen, the spouse has the right to live with you. they may still have to apply for a visa.

There are dozens of websites on the topic so I'm not sure which would be the definitive one. Search for non EU family member or spouse.

My wife is non EU so being an EU citizen is (was) an advantage as I don't live in the UK.
Circé

Post by Circé »

Nobody knows what is going to happen post-Brexit.
Current laws are explained in French on the govt website:
https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... its/N19804
EricaT

Post by EricaT »

Thanks for your replies. I'll check out those websites.
Cheers, Erica