Burkini banned in France

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
salmoncottage

Burkini banned in France

Post by salmoncottage »

Has France gone a step too far in banning the burkini on its beaches, and how might this affect accommodation providers in the future? Here in Fife it's not uncommon to wear an overcoat on the beach in July so doubt if burkini's would look too out of place here really!
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Well why not try wearing your overcoat on the beach down here, SC, and let us know what happens? :lol:

(Personally I think it's a big mistake and unduly provocative - after all what do nuns wear when they visit the beach?)

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

You've kind of hit the nail on the head there, Salmoncottage... what is appropriate beachwear? Some poor woman got chased off the beach for wearing a headscarf, leggings and a jumper (she wasn't going swimming), which, as I like to keep my hair tidy (and it's usually a wee bit chilly on the Moray coast when I visit home) I've often worn... so what's the difference between her and me?

So yes, I do think France has gone too far. Personally I feel anything that allows people of all races and religions to feel comfortable enjoying the great outdoors, is welcome.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I'm not sure I've ever seen a nun on the beach - perhaps they don't make a habit of it!
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

GillianF wrote:I'm not sure I've ever seen a nun on the beach - perhaps they don't make a habit of it!
I see what you did there, but in the meantime...

Lock these evil women up!!
Essar

Post by Essar »

ManxRed1 wrote:
GillianF wrote:I'm not sure I've ever seen a nun on the beach - perhaps they don't make a habit of it!
I see what you did there, but in the meantime...

Lock these evil women up!!
"This way for the baptisms; only £20 a dip, all proceeds go towards our lunch" :lol:
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Annew

Post by Annew »

All joking aside - I think that the Burkini ban is horrific and racist.

I pity anyone with any kind of holiday business in the area affected.

In my tiny part part of rural England I have had guests from many parts of the world and with varying religious beliefs and customs. As a multicultural family we have accommodated them all without question and I would hope that others would too.

We live in sad times I think...
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

As someone who burns all too readily I frequently 'burkini' myself on beaches. If an armed policeman ordered me to strip I'd sue.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I'm so angry about the burkini ban and everything that surrounds it that I can barely speak or write about it.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I am often in leggings and T shirt, what's the difference? I really think this is a big mistake and will be used for propaganda.
Martha

Post by Martha »

It's awful and I agree the pictures make for the worst kind of propaganda. I'm totally perplexed at the thinking that decides it's a good idea to have armed police making women take their clothes off. Madness.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I agree - the burkini ban is a ban too far.

Salmoncottage, if you usually have to wear an overcoat (hopefully not a grubby old man's mac :oops: :shock: ) on the beach in Fife, surely the local bobby would be advising the burkini wearer to "put more clothes on, dear, you'll catch your death" !! :lol: :lol:

The Telegraph has a good cartoon today ...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08 ... gust-2016/

- says it all, really.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Not a grubby mac PW, just a good old fashioned wind jammer type to combat the occasional blast from the north sea :lol:
Actually, last week the temerature on our front patio reached 35 celsius or 95 fahrenheit.... 8) and not a burkini in sight, however there was a local chap in a kilt but no one approached him to strip off, thank God.
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
gozokerry

Post by gozokerry »

PW in Polemi wrote: The Telegraph has a good cartoon today ...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08 ... gust-2016/
Agreed!
Kerry

As Hamlet said ;-"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Also agree with stupidity of the ban, and now Sarkosy is in on the act to make it nationwide.
What is wrong with the right wing politicians these days ; just look at Trump ! alongside that ar***le Farage !
:twisted:
What would Plato do ?