Mikail Papova

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Lualua

Mikail Papova

Post by Lualua »

I am naming this person from Ukraine as a scammer to watch out for. Same name and story as a previous forumite, which is how I found his name and the intricacies of the scam, I gather now common. So thank you very much, Laymyhat! He contacted us through our OD advert & offered a cheque, then said his agent had mistakenly written the cheque for too much money and would we refund the extra. In my naivety, I did not recognise the scam until something made me google his name and that is how I found this site. He is now urging us to bank the cheque,which happens to come from the Irish Electricity Board, interestingly, and also hassling for the refund. I have said I will give him the refund in cash when he arrives. I hadn't realised our bank can claw back money even after a cheque has been showing in our account. I imagine there would also be a hefty fee for a bounced cheque.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Lualua, this is one of the greatest 'silent' benefits of this site. Many check out scammers and spammers via their email address or user name and find themselves here discovering that the scammer is known to others. You have saved yourself from harm, or at the very least from wasting valuable time replying to scammers! Welcome to LMH :)
AndrewH

Re: Mikail Papova

Post by AndrewH »

Lualua wrote:I have said I will give him the refund in cash when he arrives. I hadn't realised our bank can claw back money even after a cheque has been showing in our account. I imagine there would also be a hefty fee for a bounced cheque.
Good points I think, Lualua, and welcome. And as Essar says, "no pay no stay"!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Welcome Lualua. You're not the first and won't be the last to find LMH by having your suspicions aroused and searching for scam indicators.
Yes, it's the overpayment scam based on the fact that a cheque drawn on a foreign bank takes some weeks to clear, even after it's showing in your account. It's very well known, but not until you know about it...
LMH is a great short cut for picking up good information based on the varied experience of others! Stick around.